Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Breaking The News

Out of curiosity does any one have an stories to tell about "breaking the news" to a collector that their item is not real/authentic ?

I had a good friend show me his Seahawks jersry collection. He pulls out a Shaun Alexander "game worn jersey". I am not a authenticator but I do my Seahawks jerseys. This one had no use and is tagged 09-52 in the collar. I broke it to him gently of course. How much you pay? Ect.... He paid 800.00 for it at a collectable show.

Feel free to share. Try and be civil

Re: Breaking The News

That works in positive ways, too. I was once shown a book published in 1802 that a friend had paid $75 for because he thought it had historic significance. I told him that neither he nor the seller knew the full historical significance of the item, which I estimated to be worth about $1,000 when fully understood.

I've also been told in another case that I overestimated an item's historical significance. I think most collectors like to know the added info, good or bad. Stuff bought from MLB teams sometimes isn't fully understood by the team itself, if the marketing people for the team aren't collectors, so the buyer might luck into a real find.

Re: Breaking The News

Quote Originally Posted by Phil316 View Post
    Out of curiosity does any one have an stories to tell about "breaking the news" to a collector that their item is not real/authentic ?

I had a good friend show me his Seahawks jersry collection. He pulls out a Shaun Alexander "game worn jersey". I am not a authenticator but I do my Seahawks jerseys. This one had no use and is tagged 09-52 in the collar. I broke it to him gently of course. How much you pay? Ect.... He paid 800.00 for it at a collectable show.

Feel free to share. Try and be civil
    I'm just amazed someone would drop that kind of $$ on a jersey like that that would have had to have been pre-tagged in advance - he wasn't even with the team then right? I think he was a Redskin 08 or 09...simple research would have saved him a lot of money.