Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Opinion needed on "damaged" Steiner sticker

Seeing the thread about removing an MLB sticker from a batting helmet reminded me of this "issue" I have with a game worn New York Yankees CC Sabathia jersey that I own, so I wanted to get the opinion of the collecting community.

I purchased the Sabathia jersey from a forum member here roughly 3 years ago. The jersey has an MLB authentication sticker that indicates the jersey was game worn on a specific date, and I was able to photo match the jersey to that date. However, the jersey also has a Steiner sticker and a corresponding Steiner LOA that indicate the jersey is "team issued," rather than worn.

This jersey had multiple owners before me, and it seems that one of them tried to remove the Steiner sticker from the jersey (perhaps to rid the jersey of the "team issued" stigma, despite the fact that the MLB sticker and photo match make it clear that the jersey was game worn?). Anyway, in doing so, the Steiner sticker began to disintegrate/come apart - one side of it is peeled up, but (perhaps as some sort of tamper-proof security measure) there is still sticker residue and pieces of the sticker on the jersey on the side where it was peeled up. See photo:

So, my question is, do I "finish the job," so to speak, and completely remove the Steiner sticker? Or do I leave it as it was when I got it, half peeled and damaged?

This is probably a jersey I will look to sell at some point, so my personal opinion is to leave it as-is and just be clear to potential buyers about the state of the sticker and let a future owner make the call about whether or not to remove the Steiner sticker (because really, the MLB sticker trumps the Steiner sticker)...but I'm curious to hear all of your opinions as well.

Re: Opinion needed on "damaged" Steiner sticker

I'm not sure why the MLB isn't proof enough. Since it's already damaged, if you can get it off without damaging anything else, I'd remove it for the clean look.