Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Re: The Dave Kingman Thread

Dave Kingman Game Used C271 bat from 1984 season in Oakland. Rare model for him, ordered 2/22/84 (12), 3/30/84 (6), 4/10/84 (6).

The C271 is flanked by two S2's... being Kingman's 14th and 15th career Grand Slams!
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    ROBERT KOPPEL
    Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,
    and 1968, 1984, HOF Tigers GU Bats...Skyking442@hotmail.com

The top Kingman bat is a bit "unknown." Another collector of Kingman also owns one of these S188 bats. Standard length of a Kingman gamer is 35" or higher so unsure what this shorter model is and it does not seem to match records. Any help here would be appreciated.

Second bat down is a late career S2

Third bat (K55); for the longest time I thought that was an Oakland bat. Turns out it was ordered in 1989 for use in the SPBA (Senior League).

Lastly, in 1986 this K75 was sent as a double stamped error and not used.
    ROBERT KOPPEL
    Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,

Couple of early bats here:

A late 60's model Len Gabrielson gamer used at USC, used by Kingman with a bold black 51 on the knob.

A game issued bat from 1972, a S2 model Kingman bat
    ROBERT KOPPEL

[B]Onward to gloves now. As I find other bats I will post them but that is all of them at this time. As any collector would say - let the hunt go on and hopefully there is never an end!

Wanted to mention some key information regarding Kingman game used bats to look for if you want one for your collection. For most of his career, Kingman preferred natural-colored H&B (later known as Louisville Slugger) bats but was known to use Adirondack bats from time to time as well. From what I can tell, he used one most everywhere but Oakland. I cannot find any photos to prove to me that he used them in Oakland anyway. Kingman was not an avid user of pine tar. Even his well-used bats do not often exhibit remnants of the substance. It is also fairly common to find Kingman's uniform number marked on the knobs of his bats. Usually in black marker earlier and mid career he often used a thick red marker.

While somewhat rare, you may also see an additional notation on the knob (GAME), which identifies the bat specifically for game use. Some Carl Yastrzemski gamers feature a similar knob notation. That said, most Kingman gamers do not feature this additional marking. Mid career he also would use the red mark to go around the knob in a line as an identifier. Kingman wore several different uniform numbers during his career. For reference, those numbers include "45" (San Francisco Giants), "26" (Giants, New York Mets, San Diego Padres and Oakland A's), "48" (New York Yankees) and "10" (California Angels, Chicago Cubs and Oakland A's).

RK
    ROBERT KOPPEL

Re: S188 bat.

For some reason mine has a stamped New York Yankees next to Dave's name. Given the fact that there are no bat record orders for this model & given the store model length w/ no knob designation....It must be a store model or promotional bat. Someone could have put that Yankees stamp on after it was issued. (maybe a Yankees nut who wanted to personalize it more). The stamp is starting to bleed into Dave's signature. I'm curious to get someone else's opinion of this bat. However, maybe just a handful of these exist.

AND THE S188 MYSTERY CONTINUES.....DON'T MISS IT !!!!!

!!! SAME BAT TIME........SAME BAT CHANNEL........!!!

""HOLY S188 BATMAN""

Early 70's Dave Kingman Game Used Wilson 1st Baseman's Glove.

I have a photomatch to this glove; Kingman holding Lou Brock on 1st at Candlestick.
    ROBERT KOPPEL

[B]1975-76 Mets OF Game Used Glove. Glove is a "high-end" store model Willie Mays glove complete with COA. Came as a surprise to me also that players used these back in the day. McGregor Glove. [/SIZE]
    ROBERT KOPPEL

1978-80 Mizuno Game Used Dave Kingman Glove. Believed to be used during Kingman's entire stint with Chicago.
    ROBERT KOPPEL

Early 80's Wilson Dave Kingman Game Used Glove
    ROBERT KOPPEL

Banned

Nice KONG stuff. Gotta like King Kong! Either a HR or a K.