Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: The Dave Kingman Thread

Truly amazing Bob!!!! You have a better collection than Kong himself! Thanks for sharing! Just awesome!

Peace!

John
    Always interested in Lance Parrish game used items. Looking for any Tigers game used jersey, game used glove, road Mariners jersey, and 94 Pirates home jersey. Contact me at john.swainer at gmail dot com

My three earliest Kingman game used bats.

Top is an Adirondack 154X; 36" from the 68-70 labeling period. The bat is specific to 1970, Dave's first pro season in Amarillo (Texas League). This is one of the first bats to be attributed to Kingman as a ML player.

The knobless or "flared bat" is a rare H4 model. 6 bats were ordered in '70 and another 6 in '72 being 36"/36 ounces and 36"/38 ounces respectively. This model was never ordered again by Kingman beyond '72.

The bottom bat is a W215 model, ordered in '72 and '73. The pictured bat has a fascimilie sig "David" and would have been ordered in '72, vs the next featured bat which says "Dave" and remained that way thru his professional career. The orders matching this bat were the 3rd and 5th orders making this likely ordered in mid '72.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ROBERT KOPPEL
    Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,
    and 1968, 1984, HOF Tigers GU Bats...Skyking442@hotmail.com

Dave Kingman Game Used Bats:

Top: Another W215; this one from the 75-75 labeling period and indicative also from the facs. signature. This bat was from Kingman's '73 season to which there were 2 orders; Apr. 1 for 2 bats and Apr. 9 for 10 bats.

Middle: Also from the 73-75 Labeling Period, a very rare model H174C. Two orders totaling 16 bats in July of 1975. (From a collector standpoint, I found this bat and the H4 previously mentioned, on ebay over a 2 week period back in like 2003 or in that area of time. Never again in 30 plus years have I seen either model surface. Both were very expensive for that time - or now.)

Bottom: The standard go-to of his career - a S2. 2 of the 3 bats shown here depict Kingman's tenure using cupped-end bats. His Mets and Cubs days he seemed to use them more than not.

ROBERT KOPPEL
    Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,

Bob, this is a really great player collection, one of the most complete that I've seen. Plus, with you and Dave actually being long-time friends, it's pretty hard to beat.
    Thanks for showing all these items…

Ben

Dave Kingman Game Used Bats Continued.

Years ago I'd spoken to Dave about the Adirondack bat; as he is pictured using them with pretty much every team he played for except for the A's. I brought it up because of the difficulty of finding them as a collector. Very elusive indeed. The S2 was his weapon of choice. I suppose the other models and brands were experimentation.

2 Adirondack model 220A, the top photo being a cupped-end and the middle being a solid as the only difference.

Lastly, a very rare order of the model J93 (a model used often by Reggie Jackson). Kingman ordered J93's on 7/5/74 (12) and 1/11/75. What makes this bat unique to me is the fact it is 37" long!!! A real tomahawk! I recall finding this in an old SCD ad back in maybe the late 80's or early 90's. Have not seen another since!
    ROBERT KOPPEL

Quote Originally Posted by gorilla777 View Post
    Bob, this is a really great player collection, one of the most complete that I've seen. Plus, with you and Dave actually being long-time friends, it's pretty hard to beat.
    Thanks for showing all these items…

Ben
    Thank you Ben. Appreciate the kind words. Still more to come. Just takes awhile to photograph and describe.
    ROBERT KOPPEL

Dave Kingman GU Bats:

3 Bicentennials. The top is a solid-end S2, middle a cupped end S2, and finally the third is a M110 also cupped end.

One Kingman characteristic shown here is the red-ring identifier atop the knob of his gamers. He seemed to do this in the mid to later 70's, possible early 80's... primarily first 3 years with Mets and some Cubs days. The top bat does not have the ring...probably given that the 2 in 26 on the knob is written over to display a 36.

The bottom bat was sought after for many years and is very rare - coming from a single bat order on April 9, 1976 of just 6 bats! This one survived and spent many years in the collection of pitcher Tommy John until the collection was eventually auctioned and secured by good friend and collector Ben Thornhill - who helped this old guy out. Much, much appreciated!

ROBERT KOPPEL

Dave Kingman All-Star Bats: Very pleased to have these in the collection. '76 Philly, '79 Seattle and '80 LA
    ROBERT KOPPEL

I can't get enough of this thread. Kong was one of my favorite Mets during some bleak 1970's seasons. Thanks for sharing! John

Quote Originally Posted by NYRangers View Post
    I can't get enough of this thread. Kong was one of my favorite Mets during some bleak 1970's seasons. Thanks for sharing! John
    John - thanks so much for the nice comment. There is MUCH MORE to come. Just takes a lot of time to get the stuff out to photograph etc. I had not had much feedback so was afraid people really were not that interested. Might be a younger base of audience here on the forum too that doesn't appreciate vintage as much as we do! I usually post pics during the day as I'm off on medical for a few more weeks following surgery. Thanks again and drop me a line via email anytime.

RK
    ROBERT KOPPEL