Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Signing Game Used Items

Quote Originally Posted by KGoldin View Post
    Some business advice on that...take it for what its worth
    if you are dealing with a current player, or recently retired player, and have a game used item and it wont cost you a ton to get it signed, I believe people prefer it to be signed.

HOWEVER, if you are dealing with a much older player, (ie Hank Aaron) whose signature has changed and is not 'period correct' , I believe it is foolish to add an aging players signature to a vintage item from 40-50 years ago where the signature on the item is not period correct.
    Ken
    Agree 100%
    I saw a "event worn" jersey of Russell Wilson from when he was drafted. It had some cert saying it came from Topps, and was worn for the card photo shoot.
    Then it has his auto with "SB 48 Champion" on it......
    Uh, he won that game more than 2 years after he wore that jersey.

And I've seen many 2001 AS balls signed by Ichiro, that were signed after his signature went south. Ichiro's sig changed dramatically after 2001, even 2002 stuff looks different.

I had the chance to get my Robert Turbin Seahawks jersey signed for FREE.
    I actually turned it down.
    Instead I found a football card that came certified OUT OF THE PACK signed.
    And the photo on the card has him wearing said jersey.
    My plan is to just include the card if I sell it, or if I frame it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by SEAFAN76 View Post
    I had the chance to get my Robert Turbin Seahawks jersey signed for FREE.
    I actually turned it down.
    Instead I found a football card that came certified OUT OF THE PACK signed.
    And the photo on the card has him wearing said jersey.
    My plan is to just include the card if I sell it, or if I frame it.
    I've done the same thing and prefer this method. Have a Freddie Freeman jersey and went to a signing of his. Rather than having him sign the jersey, I bought an 8x10 from photofile of him wearing the exact jersey and had him autograph the photo. Looks great.

Just a few thoughts:

1. You own the item, do what makes you happy.
    2. I don't mind equipment signed (bats, balls, helmets), but jerseys rarely look good signed IMO--almost like intentionally adding a stain to a garment. Also, like others stated, I worry about fading, placement, quality of signature, etc.
    3. I will never understand getting inscriptions that don't match the history of the item. For instance, a jersey from 1995 with career highlight stats from 1990. Or a late career jersey that includes ROY inscription. Just odd.

I prefer not to have my game used items signed, especially jerseys. Instead I made 8X10's of all of my jerseys & I will have Kurt sign the photos with "Game Used" eventually.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Here's one that I had signed by Dane Sardinha a few years ago. I forgot to tell him to add "Game Used"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hawaii Sports Nut, that is a fantastic idea, and I love the look of it. How did you creat those and/or what program did you use. Very clever!

Quote Originally Posted by dpmancuso View Post
    Hawaii Sports Nut, that is a fantastic idea, and I love the look of it. How did you create those and/or what program did you use. Very clever!
    I used Corel Paint Shop Pro X2. You can use other photo editing programs as well. I am just a self taught graphic artist, anyone with moderate skills can do it as well or even better. It's just a matter of working at it a lot. I still have lots to learn at this point.

With Paint Shop Pro, everything is done in raster or vector layers. It takes a lot of time to do the editing but the end can be very rewarding.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Just had Jake Arrieta sign and inscribe my game used jersey of his. Looks fantastic!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I collect game used football helmets. I prefer them unsigned. I own quite a few that are signed, however I have never had one signed. Many of them I purchased with autographs. Guys trade helmets following the ProBowl and then scribble all over them for each other. Many of the autographs are faded, smudged, worn off, etc. In my opinion nothing looks worse than a game used helmet - especially one from the 60's, 70's, or 80's that survived until now - a piece of art and history - scribbled all over with an autograph. Riddell and Schutt offer collectible helmets to get signed, so if I am going to have something signed I will customize a helmet to represent what the player wore.

I like to display my helmets - out in the light, and all autographs will fade over time. They look nasty...IMO.