Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HOF Voting

HOF Voting

Any thoughts.Mcgwire did not get in. Its going to be a long road.

Re: HOF Voting

So, McGwire is out but I've read a few articles that are making excuses for why they are going to vote Bonds in. This is nonsense. I'm boycotting the HOF. I won't darken the door of that place.

Here is the official HOF Voting results..........up for debate, but Bonds, McGwire, Sosa and Raffy have no one to blame but themselves........Roger Maris still holds the single season HR record.......... I am quite pleased to see the lack of votes that McGwire received. Jim

2007 Hall of Fame Voting Total ballots cast: A record 545 (including two blanks). Necessary for election: 409 votes. Minimum votes needed to remain on the ballot: 28.
    Votes Pct. Cal Ripken Jr. 537 98.5
    Tony Gwynn 532 97.6
    Rich Gossage 388 71.2
    Jim Rice 346 63.5
    Andre Dawson 309 56.7
    Bert Blyleven 260 47.7
    Lee Smith 217 39.8
    Jack Morris 202 37.1
    Mark McGwire 128 23.5
    Tommy John 125 22.9
    Steve Garvey 115 21.1
    Dave Concepcion 74 13.6
    Alan Trammell 73 13.4
    Dave Parker 62 11.4
    Don Mattingly 54 9.9
    Dale Murphy 50 9.2
    Harold Baines 29 5.3
    Orel Hershiser 24 4.4
    Albert Belle 19 3.5
    Paul O'Neill 12 2.2
    Bret Saberhagen 7 1.3
    Jose Canseco 6 1.1
    Tony Fernandez 4 0.7
    Dante Bichette 3 0.6
    Eric Davis 3 0.6
    Bobby Bonilla 2 0.4
    Ken Caminiti 2 0.4
    Jay Buhner 1 0.2
    Scott Brosius 0 0
    Wally Joyner 0 0
    Devon White 0 0
    Bobby Witt 0 0

Quote Originally Posted by cjmedina1 View Post
    Any thoughts.Mcgwire did not get in. Its going to be a long road.
    Here's my struggle with this. Players have used things to enhance their performance for many years before the steroid era, but haven't been proven or an issue until now. In addition, there are the names we know now that used steriods. I'm sure there are many more, like Brady Anderson, who hit 50 HR's in 1996, but never hit more than 21 before 1996 and hit no higher than 24 after 1996. Yes, he's no hall of famer, but I'm sure there are so many others we don't know about.

McGwire hit 49 HR's as a rookie in 1987. From 1987 to 1992, he it 49, 32, 33, 39, 22 and 42 HR's, and was a proven HR hitter. No question after that, 1993 to 1994 which he only played 74 games and only it 18 HR's due to injuries. Then 1995 to 2001, he it 39, 52, 34, 24, 70, 65, 32 and 39 HR's.

McGwire definately started using steroids following his injury years (not an excuse). Do I believe he could still have hit HR's if he didn't use steroids. Yes. Do I think he should be in the hall of fame? Still a struggle.

Before my comments get slammed, I want to make it clear. I am not saying it's ok because so many others did it. I believe in earning your stripes from natural ability. As you know, I was a big Juan Gonzalez fan. It killed me when I found he used steroids. His numbers weren't real due to his natural ability.

My stuggle is this has gone on (not steroids only) for years in sports and there are many in the hall of fame who are know to do things to cheat.

Ok, I'm standing by for my beating!

Friends,

My first thought is what will this do to the Values of Mark, Joses, and Sammys game used items?

23% for McGwire is sure sending a message.

My best,
    Den

Quote Originally Posted by Calrima View Post
    Friends,

My first thought is what will this do to the Values of Mark, Joses, and Sammys game used items?

23% for McGwire is sure sending a message.

My best,
    Den
    Dan, yes...not only have McGwire and friends hurt themselves and baseball, they've hurt all their loyal fans and collectors in so many ways!

I tried talking this up at work, and can't get a good conversation going. I can't understand Mattingly not getting more votes. It seems this would have been the year for him to get some votes...people that are number people giving him the benefit of not using steriods. He barely got any votes, less than 10%. There were a few years he was so awesome, I just can't believe he doesn't get more attention...even the East Coast biasis isn't getting him in.

Bill

Without turning this into another needless steriod debate here are my observations.

No real surprises on the upper end of the voting other than Blyleven losing support (percentage wise).

McGwires vote total was on par with what ESPN was predicting. No surprise there. Next year will be the true indicator though. Many writers did not vote for him because he was not a "first ballot hall of famer."

Anyone else find it hypocritical that the writer's gave McGwire the thumbs down while giving Merriman the thumbs up for the Pro Bowl?

I was shocked to see Canseco get no support. He is now a one and done. I thought he would have hung around for a couple of years. And with him Albert "don't call me Joey" Belle was sent packing, no doubt due to his charming personality.

If Canseco's game used stuff is going down in price, I will be happy to take it off of anyones hands. If you have any you would like to get rid of, please contact me at spideyman79@yahoo.com
    Todd Ricks