Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HOF Voting

Re: HOF Voting

Quote Originally Posted by Canseco44 View Post
    If Canseco's game used stuff is going down in price, I will be happy to take it off of anyones hands. If you have any you would like to get rid of, please contact me at spideyman79@yahoo.com
    Todd Ricks
    Me too. I'd be happy to take any of that worthless crap off your hands fellas. Just to help you out. That's the kind of guy I am. He he.

Bruce Sutter is the most recent closer to be elected to the HOF. It looks like Rich Gossage will be next. I thought it might be interesting to compare their numbers to those of Lee Smith.

Sutter: 661 games, 68-71 record, 300 saves, 861 K's in 1042 innings, 2.83 ERA

Gossage: 1002 games, 124-107 record, 310 saves, 1502 K's in 1809 innings, 3.01 ERA

Lee Smith: 1022 games, 71-91 record, 478 saves, 1251 K's in 1289 innings, 3.03 ERA
    • Sutter won the only Cy Young Award among these three pitchers.
    • Gossage pitched in 8 postseason series to Smith and Sutter's 2 each.
    • Sutter appeared in 4 All-Star Games, while Gossage appeared in 9 and Smith in 8.
    • Playing in just 20 more career games, Smith recorded 168 more saves than Gossage.
    • Lee Smith held the record for most career saves for over a decade.
    I'm a big fan of all three of these guys, but why is Gossage getting 71% of the vote and Lee Smith only 39%? Why did Bruce Sutter get elected before Lee Smith? Now that Smith's record has been broken by Trevor Hoffman, does he still have a shot at Cooperstown? Interesting stuff.
    Rob Steinmetz
    www.authenticgamers.com
    authenticgamers@aol.com

Paying top dollar for Chicago Cubs game used equipment!

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM33 View Post
    Me too. I'd be happy to take any of that worthless crap off your hands fellas. Just to help you out. That's the kind of guy I am. He he.
    Send me your email if you want to sell any Mcgwire game used items.On a side note in the autograph section I post some pics of my Mcgwire items in my collection.Its just a small part.Please check it out

Carlie Medina III
    carliemedinaiii@sbcglobal.net

I said it before, and I'll say it again: McGwire was a one-trick pony, and I am not sure if he belongs in the HOF anyways!!

You can say many things about Bonds (and we all have), but at least he could play the ENTIRE game up until the last couple of years.

Ken

I dissagree with you on that point. I thought McGwire was an excellent first baseman for most of his career. He even won a gold glove if I'm remembering correctly. It's not like he was a DH.

I'm not dissapointed or surprised that McGwire didn't get elected to the HOF under the current system. I just have as problem with the current system. If you are really good for a long time you get showered with glory. But if you are dominant for a shorter period of time you get the shaft.

Quote Originally Posted by Canseco44 View Post
    If Canseco's game used stuff is going down in price, I will be happy to take it off of anyones hands.
    In my eyes Canseco is a hero for his role in exposing steroids. In time, he will be regarded as a mythical being. The Hall of Fame means little to the value of a player's memorabilia. It did matter 15 or 20 years ago. Ripken memorabilia should not go up in value because of HOF induction. In terms of "speculation" or "investment potential", the memorabilia of a so-called "future hall-of-famer" seems to have more value.
    Also, there are tons of collectors of Pete Rose and Shoeless Joe. The HOF is losing its street-cred.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM33 View Post
    I just have as problem with the current system. If you are really good for a long time you get showered with glory. But if you are dominant for a shorter period of time you get the shaft.
    You mean like Bert Blyleven and Sandy Koufax?

Exactly.

I place a high value on players who were dominant forces in the league. I'm talking about players that pitchers or hitters feared and that opposing managers had to plan around.

Hey guys,

I'm fairly new to this forum but had a couple of ponts to make:

1. Those of us affected by falling memorabilia values of players such as McGwire, Canseco, Palmeiro, etc. should get together and file a class action lawsuit against the envolved players to recover money lost due to their direct actions. After all, class action lawsuits are filled everyday by a group of people affected as a direct result of something or someone. If these players had not done steroids, their values would have held steady over time. Just a thought.....Any lawyers listening?

2. Why no support for Tommy John? I feel that the surgery he pioneered has led to the enhancement of the sport of Baseball and has prolonged many Major League careers. Isn't the Hall of Fame for people who have been Pioneers in their sport?

Best wishes to you all....

Steve

Banned

Hello all:

I thought I'd chime in on my thoughts on the Hall of Fame. First off, I don't care about all the McGwire haters out there. I respect the Canseco fans out there, they stick by there boy so hats off to you Canseco fans. The one thing I have to say about Canseco is its a shame to rat on your fellow ball players. Where is the brotherhood like you see in the military? The Police force? Isn't there an unwritten law, like baseball, which has many unwritten laws, not to rat?! The only way I can tolerate a rat is if it is saving someones life! But thats just me, if you can live with yourself rating on people, then fine, I just hope you can sleep at night! Personally I think McGwire got screwed!! It's a darn shame to condemn a man for doing nothing wrong!!! As I said once before, he has never been found guilty!! And, what if he did use steroids? It wasn't illegal in the game!!!!!! If it was such a big deal, baseball would have had a ban on it from the get go!!! Are you going to punish people because you think someone used. No one can tell for sure when the steroid era began. And, might I add, just becasue you use steroids doens't mean you're a huge guy!!! You can still be a buck eighty five and be on roids!!! You're always going to have people try and cheat the system now, oh, and there's no testing for HGH, I could guess there are still tons using performance enhancers. Should you ban protein drinks too? They could help build muscle...uh oh, better not vote for anyone suspected of drinking protein!!!!! I read an article that said that baseball is strict in making sure people know that you're only to critique on the players performance!!! Not what you think he may have done, or by invoking their 5th amendment rights!!!! Trying to send a message?? I got a message for the people who are happy McGwire got such poor votes but I can't remember what you can or cannot say without getting into trouble on here, so I won't say it...people are too sue happy and have nothing better to do than sue, where is the thick skin real men should have? Fact is, his numbers are there, comparable to Reggie, I believe there were two others in the Hall, but forgot who, they were spoken about on a previous forum. Anyway, I'm not sure if this all makes sense, I'm just livid!!!! McGwire deserves to be in the Hall this year or at least next. Qutie frankly, all the others ahead of him are boring!!! Bert, Andre, Goose..hahaha, need I say more, Steve Garvey? Come on are you kidding me?!?! Jim Rice? Ridiculous!!

Aaron