Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: HOF voting

Re: HOF voting

Quote Originally Posted by danesei@yahoo.com View Post
    I don't fault Kent for benefiting from Bonds being in the lineup. I'm saying that if you're going to say no on Bonds due to PEDs, you need to say no on Kent for the same reason.
    I'm not following. No to Kent because of PED's?

Quote Originally Posted by ndevlin View Post
    I'm not following. No to Kent because of PED's?
    No, the reason this came up was someone said they'd never vote for Bonds, but they would vote for Kent. I'm saying I'd vote yes on both, but if someone is going to say Bonds is out, they would need to consider how Kent's candidacy is a result of Bonds.

For the 2000 MVP, I understand *why* Kent beat Bonds (media concerns coupled with games played), but I don't really know if Kent wins the MVP without Bonds being on the team. I think Bonds deserved the MVP, but I don't fault the selection of Kent, either.

Quote Originally Posted by ndevlin View Post
    I gotcha. You seem to be a Giants fan- did Kent deserve the Mvp, or Bonds?
    As a Giants fan, Bonds should have one the MVP. Bonds would have put up the same numbers with or without Kent. Kent no way would have put up the number without Bonds. The Sportswriters didn't like Bonds, if there was ever a chance to give the vote to someone else they would (example Pendelton).

Kent did his damn job and did it well. I'd like to see Jody Reed put up Kent's numbers hitting after or before Bonds. I also like that he and Bonds didn't get along. Didn't matter, still drove him in.

I don't care when they used. How often they used. If one gets in, they all get in. Bonds hit 73 HR's. Really! Come on guys!!
    Regards, Tony

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

~I'm sorry, I can't hear you....my World Series Ring is making too much NOISE! - Alex Rodriguez~

Quote Originally Posted by 3arod13 View Post
    I don't care when they used. How often they used. If one gets in, they all get in. Bonds hit 73 HR's. Really! Come on guys!!
    I disagree, and somewhat greatly. If you go with "one in; all in," I think we need to have parallel standards for PED users (like 25% higher - so 500 HR _standard_ would be 625 & 3000 hit _standard_ would be 3750; for pitchers 3500 Ks standard would be bumped up to 4375).

Quote Originally Posted by vonbrandingo View Post
    Kent did his damn job and did it well. I'd like to see Jody Reed put up Kent's numbers hitting after or before Bonds. I also like that he and Bonds didn't get along. Didn't matter, still drove him in.
    As for Kent v Jody Reed: reductio ad absurdum. When I say Kent isn't MVP in 2000 without Bonds, I'm not calling Kent a journeyman middle infielder. Jody Reed was a below average MLB player in terms of WAA.

My point is more along the lines that Jeff Kent hitting behind anyone but Bonds ends up being a lesser version of Chase Utley, or someone comparable to Alfonso Soriano / Chuck Knoblauch.