Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ichiro Suzuki Baseball Future

I want to see some feedback with this how many out there feel that the last Jeter game in Fenway was Ichirio last game as well if not where do you think he will wind up I feel the Yankees should have kept him at 41 the guy did loose a little edge but not enough to call it still flexible and does come through in games

Re: Ichiro Suzuki Baseball Future

I was at the final Jeter game and mentioned to my wife that it might end up being Ichiro's last game as well...

That said, I think there is a strong chance he signs somewhere else for 2015, he's not the worst choice for an outfielder by any means yet. He also deserves to retire and have his last game not be overshadowed like it would have been with Jeter. Just a guess—maybe he goes to Tampa or the Cubs?

Quote Originally Posted by BRONXBOMBERS1 View Post
    I want to see some feedback with this how many out there feel that the last Jeter game in Fenway was Ichirio last game as well if not where do you think he will wind up I feel the Yankees should have kept him at 41 the guy did loose a little edge but not enough to call it still flexible and does come through in games

Thanks emann
    Yes I too feel the same hopefully he will have the opportunity to return just so he too could go out on top another great player unfortunately like other Japanese players they come here when they are already half way through a career unlike the players here that come up young from the farm team
    However yes I too feel he will wind up at one of those teams I could have sworn the Astros or the mets would have grabbed him but I was wrong on both
    Congrats to you for being at that last game in Fenway the only way to describe that one is priceless
    Have a happy holiday!!
    Sal bronxbombers1

I hope that he signs with the Orioles!!!! They seem to need the help as they've remained pretty quiet this off season in terms of signing free agents, especially since they "lost" Markakis and Cruz. I surely hope that he gets his day in the sun.

Does he sign a one day contract with the Mariners and retire? I think that is a cool gesture from any team but it still seems like he's got baseball left in the tank.

Wade

I think an interesting fit for Suzuki might be a shift to the NL, perhaps COL, ATL or ARI. With the Padres and Dodgers, at some point, being forced to dump OFs, if Ichiro doesn't sign soon, he might be looking at being a 4th OF for a team like Cleveland.

I think it'd be great to see if Suzuki could play to age 50. That said, as he gets older, he may start to become more Japanese in his diet. Playing for a team based close to the Pacific Ocean would allow more access to fresh fish. Oakland might be a nice fit.

Actually, after saying all of that, I think Oakland or SF might be the best bet for Suzuki, if not a return to Seattle. My vote is for the A's.

10 yrs $32mm. I think that would be a near perfect contract for his skill set, as he should be able to produce more than 4.5 WAR over the rest of his career.

He had a better year, once again, than Jeter.

Is his paying time limited because of his age and inability to play every day, the perception of the coach that a 40 year old can't play every day, or just because of platooning in a crowded outfield?

Ichiro said he not only wanted to play in 2015, but also 2016.

Ichiro loves his statistics and I have heard that he does want to get to 3,000 MLB hits, so 2 part time seasons should cover that, or playing full time next year hitting around .280 should get it next year.

He needs 156 hits for 3000
    13 stolen bases to get to 500

Also he needs about 60 more runs to crack the Top 100 runs scored all time.

If he would have had his MLB rookie season at age 20 or 21 (instead of age 27), he would be looking at a very decent chance to being the All Time hits leader in MLB history, especially if he indeed plays through the year 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by jake33 View Post
    Ichiro said he not only wanted to play in 2015, but also 2016.

Ichiro loves his statistics and I have heard that he does want to get to 3,000 MLB hits, so 2 part time seasons should cover that, or playing full time next year hitting around .280 should get it next year.

He needs 156 hits for 3000
    13 stolen bases to get to 500

Also he needs about 60 more runs to crack the Top 100 runs scored all time.

If he would have had his MLB rookie season at age 20 or 21 (instead of age 27), he would be looking at a very decent chance to being the All Time hits leader in MLB history, especially if he indeed plays through the year 2016.
    He would have been lucky to start at 20 or 21 and most likely would have spent time in the minors as most do and had his first full season at 22 or 23. Also his BA has never been as good in MLB as it was in Japan.
    So he probably would not be as close as most think he would.