Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Re: Your Worst Experience Dealing With An Athlete

Quote Originally Posted by shirkr View Post
    One night a friend and I were waiting outside the centerfield gate when Storm Davis popped out and jumps into his brand new Mazda Miata (sp?). He signed a few cards for me at the time and drove off. About 5 minutes after he signed my cards we heard/saw this car come screaching and speeding through the parking lot and it's headed directly towards us. It was Storm and he was pissed! Jumps out of his car and confronts us both about someone spitting on his car. We both were stunned with the deer in the headlights look. We had no idea what he was babbling about. He went on to tell us about how he was going to give this car to his kids...blah blah blah. Anyways, wasn't us Storm...sorry. Story over.
    A grown man named Storm driving a Miata. Wonder if he would get mad if I spit in his Zima? Tough guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Liberace View Post
    A grown man named Storm driving a Miata. Wonder if he would get mad if I spit in his Zima? Tough guy.

My best experiences:
    In the summer of 1987, one of the officials on my Dad's crew (he was an SWC official for many years) worked for The Equitable, which used to sponsor "Old Timers" games at major league ballparks (remember those)? This was in Arlington, and I had the privilege, along with my dad, to attend a meet and greet session at the Sheraton hotel (was next to the old Arlington Stadium) with many of the players that were playing in the Old Timers game, then go on the field for pre-game batting practice, and finally another meet and greet at the hotel after the game. So many of the old timers were very gracious and full of stories.

Among the best: Al Oliver, Ernie Banks, Ralph Branca, Bob Feller, Warren Spahn (a very nice man who loved to tell stories), Bob Gibson, Bill Stein (who played for Texas at the time as a pinch-hitter), Alvin Dark. Bobby Valentine, then the Rangers manager, was particularly nice and posed for pictures on the field.

So-so: Johnny Mize was not particularly friendly, but he did sign.

The worst: Willie Mays, who did not show up for either meet and greets (although he was required by contract), nor did he sign on the field, etc.

Very recently, I've attended Frisco Roughriders games, and the manager of the visiting San Antonio Missions is Terry Kennedy, one of my favorite former Padres players. He is very gracious, and has signed four cards, a 1981 yearbook, and a ball for both my son and I. He likes to chat, and he even knew the year of the yearbook without seeing the cover just from the photos inside.

Jay

I'm a little biased but I'll give a run down of my best experiences:

Pete Rose: although you have to pay he makes it worth the money by posing for pictures and taking time to talk to you. He is a very personable guy and a pleasure to meet.

Sean Casey: not many nicer guys than the "Mayor" he treats the fans like I wish every ballplayer would.

Walt Jocketty: at a recent Reds signature event I was able to talk to Walt for about ten minutes without interruption, he was a very nice guy and answered mine and others questions about the team very honestly.

Jay Bruce: at the same event I brought a picture I had taken with Jay after throwing out the first pitch at an earlier game, we were not supposed to get additional items signed but when I pulled out the pictures his face lit up and we talked for quite awhile, although the line backed up a bit. He is a great kid especially considering how young and talented he is.

The Reds in general seem to have the right attitude towards fans. I love to get to games early and it seems there is always at least one or two Reds at a time signing home and away. In Houston I counted at least 6 players for the Reds that signed autos and only one Astro. They may not be making the playoffs lately but when it comes to personalities I'll take them over anyone else.

I had a great run in with Peter Bondra while playing with the capitals. Bondra would always sign autos (very nicely i might add) for everyone, but when he was ever approached with one of his game used sticks his mood would quickly change. Bondra put alot of work into each of his sticks, shaving, molding, taping etc. Anytime you approached him with one, he would ask "where did you get my stick" and whatever your answer would be he would say "your lying your lying" so one day i try to get a gamer signed same thing, as i pointed out a microscopic crack on the blade, he rips the stick out of my hands and says "you wanna see a crack" and breaks the blade in half and throws the stick. I was speechless, cause bondra was always pretty cool, realizing what he did was wrong he says wait here and goes into the locker room and gets another stick and gives it to me and says "its not right what they do, selling my stuff"(talking about then equipment manager sluggo) at that point i realized his anger was more at them and not me. So then i ask him to sign that stick he declined Worked out for me though because i ended up putting the broken one back together and selling them both

Best Experience : Adam Rosales - He loves the game and loves the fans. I just wish that he were a better ballplayer so that he could stick with the Reds and not be sent back to the minors.

Worst Experience - No question..... Oscar Robertson...the guy was just nasty and asked that no one take pictures with him or of him. He told someone that he owned every picture that was taken of him since he "owned" his likeness. Whatever..... I'm from Indiana...and it was just a sad moment in Hoosier basketball history for him to act like that.

Two stories. One bad. One good.
    WORST - Ken Griffey Jr.

I am a professional photographer and have covered pro sports for nearly 20 years. About 1997, I was at a Mariners and Indians game in Cleveland and Ken Griffey Jr. was obviously on my shot list. He didn't take BP on the field and only came out for the game about three minutes before the start. I was stationed on the warning track area at the west end of the visitor's dugout near homeplate at Jacob's Field. Griffey emerges from the tunnel and upon seeing that there are photographers waiting to take his photo, he walks to the bat rack near us without looking up. He went to the other end of the dugout to get a some water. When he turned around and looked up, I snapped 3-4 images of him from about 50 feet away and was turning to get some shots of the Indians' starting pitcher. Griffey proceeds to walk the length of the dugout cussing me, and me only, out the whole way for taking his picture. A photographer who was standing near me got some great shots of Griffey in full rage. I looked at Joey Cora who was on the steps of the dugout near me and he rolled his eyes and said "What an @@@hole."
    Griffey went 0-4 that night and the Indians won.

BEST - Don Mattingly
    When Mattingly was in his first year in the minors with the Oneonta Yankees, my brother and I, we were sophomores in high school, went to a playoff game between the Yankees and Geneva Cubs for the NY-Penn League Championship at Geneva's ballpark which was 15 miles from our house. My brother had an official American League ball that he wanted to have the Yankees sign. Mickey Vernon was a scout with the Yankees and he was there to evaulate the team's players. He signed the ball on the sweetspot but left room for the manager, Art Mazmanian, to sign. A player emerged from the Yankees dugout and we asked for his autograph. It was Don Mattingly. He signed and talked with us for a few minutes. We explained that we wanted to get the ball signed by as many players and coaches as possible, but several pitchers were already in the bullpen and we weren't allowed near there to ask them. Also batting practice was over and most of the players were in the clubhouse. Mattingly said "I"ll be right back" he took the ball to the bullpen and had each player sign it. When he returned, he said "Wait here." He walked into the clubhouse and had each player and coach in the clubhouse sign the ball before returning it to us.
    Mattingly hit a home run that night to win the game and my brother and I have been fan's of his ever since.
    My brother still has that baseball and the newspaper clipping from the game.

Talking Re: Your Worst Experience Dealing With An Athlete

I posted in a previous thread about why I hate the Mets and why I'm glad Dykstra is going to prison soon but I was reminded recently of another sports encounter worth repeating.

When I was in my teens and early 20's I went to every sports card and collectible show I could. Most of the time the little ones would have local sports heros or second string local guys. I remember meeting Bob Nystrom and seeing Joe McEwing signing for hours, for free with a smile on their faces just happy to talk sports. Even at the big shows, Dan Marino, Jerry Rice, Barry Sanders all took the time to smile and say thanks.

But I lost my love of collecting autographs when I became a Teen Travel Camp counselor in 2005. I had ONE Camper who was just an autograph hound. His whole mission in life was collecting signed papers, programs, balls, napkins whatever. He just loved collecting autographed stuff, the thrill of the hunt. Over the next 3 summers, we went to Shea for the Mets, Yankee Stadium, Jacobs Field, The Skydome, Oriole Park and several minor league stadiums as well. Without fail, I had poor experiences with athletes at every one of these venues. We were always wearing a jersey/hat/ camp shirt and it was one 12 year old child. Keep that in mind when you hear these.
    The short list:

The batting instructor for the Blue Jays, Mickey Brantley, refused to sign his softball because (as he said to his cousins in earshot of my poor camper) "I ain't signing for that honkey brat"

The Yankees on game day wouldn't come anywhere near anyone. Thank you Brandon Steiner, another great fan friendly idea in convincing players not to sign for free when he can overpay them and charge fans $350 to $500 for scribbled single signed balls! I hear they sign in out of town parks rarely but FU Yankee fans who pay $2500 for one seat at home!

David Wright signed every game EXCEPT when we went. Without fail. Ditto Jose Reyes, Beltran, Delgado, Wagner. Schoenweis signed, a couple and walked off. Once again, big fat zero for the camper. Now it's impossible to even get close without the correct tickets. Did I mention I hate the Mets?

We couldn't get close to the field at Oriole Park or Jacobs but admittedly, we didn't arrive all that early.

The minor league parks were ok but he still got snubbed a few times.

Understandably, I was tired of 3 straight summers of watching one of my favorite campers face look so heartbroken. I had enough and during my last summer, I decided I was going to have someone else try and take him down for autographs at Shea. I told him I thought I was bad luck and sent him with someone else.

Wouldn't you know it! He got two autographs! Of course the Mets told him to screw off but two of my favorite actors, John Travolta and Robin Williams were at the game with their kids. They both signed FOR EVERYONE. My biggest regret as a counselor of 6 summers, was not going down with him that last time.

I blame the Mets!
    Bieksallent! My Player Collections:

http://sami-salo.webs.com

Someone mentioned Bill Stein, who set the AL record for consecutive pinch-hits. When he became a minor-league manager, he continued to be good about signing. I got his autograph on the same bat with Jack Fisher, the pitching coach. Fisher has the dubious distinction of throwing two of the most famous HR's ever: Ted Williams' last HR, and Roger Maris's 60th. Fisher seemed surprised to be asked, but signed graciously though wordlessly.

Not really an autograph story, but growing up in Oakland, one time when I was a kid (maybe 10?) my friend and I saw Al Davis on Lakeshore Ave. He was in front of us by maybe 15ft with a few guys and we tried to get his attention. We happily said things like "Mr. Davis!" and "Hey Al!" and he ignored us completely.

So when it looked like he was going to walk away completely, my friend said, "Al Davis you're my hero!!!"

After that, he stopped, waited for us to catch up a bit, pulled down his shades and said, "I know kid...I know."

Then he walked on his way.

True story.