Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
    Banned

A "Ramirez" swap in Los Angeles/Chicago?

No, I'm not talking about Manny.

I'm hearing rumors that the Dodgers are trying to make a trade that would land Alexi Ramirez on the Dodgers, and send Hanley to Chicago. Not sure if there are other parts and pieces involved in the discussions.

I am one Dodger fan who is scratching my head over this. Of course Alexi is an outstanding player, a great teammate, and is a top quality shortstop who can hit. But he does NOT have the power of Hanley who, if healthy, can win another batting title. I see this as a "trade-off" move on the surface.

What I don't know is WHY the dodgers appear to be so pressed to get rid of Hanley. There seems to be some underlying reason, almost a grudge. Maybe the often-injured Hanley is using PEDS and the Dodgers are aware of it? He has added quite a bit of upper body to his game in the last couple of years. (For the record, I LOVE Hanley and am not thinking this to be the case, just trying to figure out the Dodgers distain towards him). Maybe his "body language" last year is something the Dodgers just want to rid themselves of, I don't know (Hanley's general demeanor last year included a head-down stroll almost every at-bat, and his injury list was lengthy). Hanley unfortunately did cost Clayton Kershaw a perfect game with his one throwing error on a rushed throw to first on a slow dribbler, but that's certainly no reason to dump him all by itself.

Maybe the new President of Baseball Operations, Andrew Friedman, just wants to go another direction. In light of the big picture, and Hanley's age (he's going to be 31 December 23, 2014, and want's a minimum 5-year deal in the neighborhood of $90 mil+) the Dodgers seem completely unwilling to even consider retaining him long term. It's hard to argue with the move if it does take place, but the potential loss of a power-hitting potential repeat batting title champion is a big move. Not sure I like it, unless of course the Dodgers know something we don't.

Any Chicago White Sox fans out there that care to share your feelings on this? Konerko retired. They already dumped Dunn. If they unload Alexi, a mainstay great player, they're obviously folding up tent and looking to rebuild. You going to start off rebuilding with Hanley?

Chris

Re: A "Ramirez" swap in Los Angeles/Chicago?

Hanely is a Free Agent so the dodgers cant swap him anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaimOnYou View Post
    No, I'm not talking about Manny.

I'm hearing rumors that the Dodgers are trying to make a trade that would land Alexi Ramirez on the Dodgers, and send Hanley to Chicago. Not sure if there are other parts and pieces involved in the discussions.

I am one Dodger fan who is scratching my head over this. Of course Alexi is an outstanding player, a great teammate, and is a top quality shortstop who can hit. But he does NOT have the power of Hanley who, if healthy, can win another batting title. I see this as a "trade-off" move on the surface.

What I don't know is WHY the dodgers appear to be so pressed to get rid of Hanley. There seems to be some underlying reason, almost a grudge. Maybe the often-injured Hanley is using PEDS and the Dodgers are aware of it? He has added quite a bit of upper body to his game in the last couple of years. (For the record, I LOVE Hanley and am not thinking this to be the case, just trying to figure out the Dodgers distain towards him). Maybe his "body language" last year is something the Dodgers just want to rid themselves of, I don't know (Hanley's general demeanor last year included a head-down stroll almost every at-bat, and his injury list was lengthy). Hanley unfortunately did cost Clayton Kershaw a perfect game with his one throwing error on a rushed throw to first on a slow dribbler, but that's certainly no reason to dump him all by itself.

Maybe the new President of Baseball Operations, Andrew Friedman, just wants to go another direction. In light of the big picture, and Hanley's age (he's going to be 31 December 23, 2014, and want's a minimum 5-year deal in the neighborhood of $90 mil+) the Dodgers seem completely unwilling to even consider retaining him long term. It's hard to argue with the move if it does take place, but the potential loss of a power-hitting potential repeat batting title champion is a big move. Not sure I like it, unless of course the Dodgers know something we don't.

Any Chicago White Sox fans out there that care to share your feelings on this? Konerko retired. They already dumped Dunn. If they unload Alexi, a mainstay great player, they're obviously folding up tent and looking to rebuild. You going to start off rebuilding with Hanley?

Chris
    Also I don't believe the sox are in complete rebuild mode. They have lots of depth in the middle infield comming along in 16' 17'. The Sox are still very high on Alexei and his team friendly deal so the only way Alexei is traded is if they are blown away with something. More than likely it would be a starting pitcher who is controlable or someone they could extend. Since Hanley is a FA more than likely they are talking about a swap of Alexei and Ethier and cash or maybe the Dodger's are willing to take Danks back in the deal to lower the cash amount going back to Chicago. There is also a chance there could be a third team involved if anything gets done because I do not believe they could get a deal done like this on there own. White Sox need a RH SP and they need bullpen help. They also need a DH/LF as well. More than likely left handed. Alexei has 2 more years left on his deal 10 mil per and one of which is a team option for 16'. For his production at that price thats a steal for a SS so I imagine thats why the top 3 teams in need of a ss have been rumored with him freaquently Dodgers, Mets and Yankees. I would not mind seeing a deal get done bringing back either and cash for danks and Alexei. Danks is owed almost 30 over the next two years so if the dodgers were to take on the 26 more owed to Ethier to make it an even swap I think that would be a good deal on both sides. The sox wold get there bat and would have the cash to go after an ace and still be well within the budget. Then all they need is another arm or two in the pen and a stop gap ss like Drew or Cabrera to get them to next season.

Banned

True, I was referring to the concept of simply swapping him for Alexei as an arraingment in terms agreed upon by the players, my bad in wording it like it would be a "trade".

As the rumor goes, the Dodgers are thinking of picking up Alexei and the Sox would then sign Hanley, with maybe other players involved in the process (if the Sox were to actually trade away Alexei). I didn't mean to confuse the issue by calling it a swap, more of a team agreement on mutually desired moves. In any case, if it does happen I don't know which side of it would surprise me more, the Dodgers giving up that good bat, or the Sox giving up their popular All-Star shortstop.

I guess the Dodgers view Alexei and his $10 Mil 2015 contract as a bargain (with the added bonus of less baggage) to what they'd have to sign Hanley for, unless he gets no other offers that will drive up his price (unlikely with the Yankees looking for a shortstop). Also, Alexei may have a small incentive to take a Dodger offer if it includes a few more years because after 2015, he's a free agent. The Sox have a team option for 2016, but that's no guarantee to Alexei.

I like the potential of Hanley in the line up but his past few seasons of missed games due to injury scare me and I do not think the sox would pull the trigger on that one.

I think the mets match up well with the Sox for a trade. They have Wheeler, Harvey and Degrom. They also have a few guys progressing in the minors. I think there is a deal there for someone. They are in desperate need for a ss.