Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Pujols Jersey-steinmetz/jeff Opinion?

Forum Readers, especially Rob Steinmetz and Birdbats Jeff--
    I ask for an expert opinion on a "2003 Pujols road jersey" currently offered on Ebay:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/2003-Albert-Pujo...QQcmdZViewItem

The jersey has several traits that make me uncomfortable with it:
    1. It has 5 written on the front Majestic tag. I've never seen any other 2003 Cardinals roads with #'s written on this tag.

2. It has some faded initials written in the collar. According to the Grey Flannel LOA, these are Albert's family members initials. Again, I've not seen any other Pujols jerseys with initials written in the collar.

3. The washing tag on the inside is not present. I asked the seller, and he confirmed it is not present.. Based on this, there is no way to know if it had the pro code 0062 or the retail code 6200. The shirt is a size 48, a retail size.

4. The email that's included in the sellers description. Who writes like this?, "My jerseys, if kept by me, are put away at the Banks Safe Deposit Vault. They sit there until I sell or trade them." "I wanted to get a letter on the jersey, so I sent it to Grey Flannel, trying to beat the All Star break to help with early authentication." "Feel. This jersey is not a store bought or spring training jersey. This jersey has a nice sheen to it, as only road MLB gamers do. Its not the dull flat gray color of a store bought jersey. It has the touch and feel of a gamer. "

Rob, Jeff, or any other experienced Cardinals collector I ask you the following:
    1. In your opinion, is this a correct example of agame worn 2003 road
    Pujols?
    2. Without the washing tag and thus the pro code 0062, would you feel
    comfortable owning this?
    3. Based on this jersey, and the fact that there is no way to determine if
    it had a 0062 or 6200 code, could you provide a LOA, as Grey Flannel
    did, stating "...this is an authentic St. Louis Cardinals game-used road
    knit jersey worn by Albert Pujols during the 2003 season"?

Wishing all of the Forum Readers a Happy and Healthy New Year.

Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@patmedia.net

Re: Pujols Jersey-steinmetz/jeff Opinion?

Hey Howard,
    I cant say for sure on the jersey, but the nameplate does look good, compared to a lot of fakes that have the plate extending way to far beyond the name. I dont know why a team/player would remove the inside wash tag either. Looks like it left a nice hole there.

jason

Howard:
    Based on the LIMITED number of common Cardinals jerseys I own, I would be concerned about the double sewn #s on this jersey. The ones I have are single sewn.
    Mark
    bigtime39@aol.com

Why are people even talking about this jersey???

Why would the wash code tag be removed??? IT'S IDIOTIC to even think of a scenario in which it would be removed. "Hmmm, I'm Albert Pujols, let me use a razor and take this tag off, so that there will be a BIG OLD HOLE here FOR FUN!!"

The nameplate looks good??? ALL authentic retail jersey's nameplates look good!

"It has the touch and feel of a gamer." Well, there you go!

EDITORIAL COMMENTS DELETED

Banned

[quote=jessicawinters;29316]Why are people even talking about this jersey???

Why would the wash code tag be removed??? IT'S IDIOTIC to even think of a scenario in which it would be removed. "Hmmm, I'm Albert Pujols, let me use a razor and take this tag off, so that there will be a BIG OLD HOLE here FOR FUN!!"

The nameplate looks good??? ALL authentic retail jersey's nameplates look good!

"It has the touch and feel of a gamer." Well, there you go!

Jessica-
    All vaild points.

Add your comments to those from another Forum Readers I received, "I have an extensive Cardinals game worn uniform collection including several 2003 road gamers. None of my jerseys from any year, including 2003 have double stitched numbers and none have had the wash tag removed".

Based on this, and the fact that there is no wash tag to indicate if it is a 0062 or 6200, I'll ask any forum reader or a representative from Grey Flannel to provide the basis for which a LOA was written on this jersey indicating is it a game worn 2003 road Albert Pujols?

What are we missing here?

Rob Steinmetz, can you comment on this jersey?

Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@patmedia.net

this particular jersey has a somewhat sordid history that rob steinmetz is familiar with. perhaps he'll share his experience with it. it's the third time it's been up for auction. the seller originally stated it was acquired from authenticgamers. oddly enough, the price has gone up substantially this third time.

at any rate, i concur with mark sutton that the most disconcerting issue is the double-stitching on both the front and back numbers. perhaps my experience is limited, but i've never seen double-stitching on 2-color numbers on a legit gamer. any insight into this issue would be appreciated.

as for the numbers, i think that even a person intimately familiar with pujols' traits still wouldn't be able to conclusively say what pujols has or hasn't done in every single instance. perhaps it's atypical but that's hardly to say it's impossible or even unlikely.

i think too much importance is placed on wash codes. i've persued so many ebay auctions that state "it has the 0062 code that only real gamers do" or "it has the 0062 code so you know it's a real gamer". it's ludicrous to think it's so cut and dry. i have little doubt that 6200 jerseys have seen legit game action. conversely, i'm aware that 0062 jerseys have been found in retail stores.

as for the wash tag being removed, is it idiotic to think that pujols may have removed it for the same reason clemens removes his manufacturer's tags? "hmm, i'm roger clemens, let me use a razor and take this tag off for fun". yet we've all seen irrefutable evidence that clemens removes his tags so apparently it's true despite the fact that none of us knows why or can see the logic behind it. (i have little doubt it's done "for fun"). since size is a far more important determinant than the wash code, a missing manufacturer's/size tags pose a greater problem than a missing wash tag. while a ripped out wash tag is alarming, poses somewhat of a problem and would likely cause me to stay away, i'm not going to pretend as if i know what pujols has done with every one of his jerseys and/or that a missing wash tag is a completely implausible, "idiotic" scenario.

as for the "feel of the fabric" comment in the ebay ad, i'm not entirely sure what it was meant to convey. i'm not aware of any difference in the "sheen" of gamers vs retail jerseys. perhaps it's true, i just haven't felt a retail jersey in years. i don't know if current pro jerseys have a sheen while retail jerseys are dull. what i do know is that one of the best ways of gauging the legit use on a gamer is to feel the fabric. this is common knowledge. a jersey that's been laundered 50 times feels noticeably different than a jersey that's been laundered once. the fabric is undeniably and noticeably softer.

(it seems that when someone's going to fake a jersey, they rarely have the patience or foresight to launder it 50+ times in an industrial/commerical washing environment. they can easily curl flag tags in a few seconds but the fabric still feels coarse.)

as i said earlier, the double-stitching is the biggest issue for me.

rudy.

Rudy,

The jersey in question did not originate from me or my company. I have been in communication with the seller, and he is aware of the fact that this jersey was not sourced from my company (as his original description stated). I concur with you and Mark Sutton regarding the double stitching...a characteristic not typically found on Cardinals gamers.
    Rob Steinmetz
    www.authenticgamers.com
    authenticgamers@aol.com

Paying top dollar for Chicago Cubs game used equipment!

Banned

How about this suggestion to resolve it.......

Rob Steinmetz/Authentic Gamers ALWAYS provides a LOA with EVERY item sold. As such, where's the LOA with this particular Pujols jersey or at least a receipt? There must be some type of paperwork that was provided from Rob-that is, if he indeed did sell this?

Based on my experience and from his reputation in the equipment arena, I find it a bit hard to believe he's behind this particular jersey.

Proof please.........

Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@patmedia.net

sur54srd

Quote Originally Posted by hblakewolf View Post
    How about this suggestion to resolve it.......

Rob Steinmetz/Authentic Gamers ALWAYS provides a LOA with EVERY item sold. As such, where's the LOA with this particular Pujols jersey or at least a receipt? There must be some type of paperwork that was provided from Rob-that is, if he indeed did sell this?

Based on my experience and from his reputation in the equipment arena, I find it a bit hard to believe he's behind this particular jersey.

Proof please.........

Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@patmedia.net
    I was told Rob was not providing LOA's for every purchase at that time. Did anyone else here buy and item from Rob prior to June, 2003? If so, please post the LOA.

Banned

Sur54srd-
    Did you remove your post I responded to? Was it removed by someone on the Forum?

Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@patmedia.net