Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Re: Don Mattingly's disgrace

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Should we just start the thread now?

Gabe Kapler's Disgrace

Now THAT'S funny!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sox83cubs84 View Post
    The latest reports indicate that the Dodgers are now considering Darin Erstad.

Dave M.
    Hi Dave,

Sorry your Cubs didn't get to and WIN the World Series. Maybe we'll have to go back in time and fix that.

Anyway, in regards to the Dodgers, Andrew Friedman came out and stated they would be interviewing a LOT of prospects for the job. So a parade of prospects could have been predicted. I wouldn't read anything into any one interview at this point. This may go on for awhile.

There's another aspect that I would like to hit on. And...(drumroll please)....it may actually blow your minds that it supports Don Mattingly, albeit ever so slightly. The Dodgers have "bought in" to this this new theory of placing a LOT of importance on Sabermetrics when putting together a roster. I always thought it was a way to find the "undervalued" players who, while not being superstars, still put up pretty darn good numbers under the radar.

Now it seems to be a way of life for the Dodgers. So it raises the question...How much control of the reigns did Donnie really have over the Dodgers? I addressed this on my instagram account as to why I think the Dodgers have additional problems ahead.

I don't want to get into all over again here, but I am convinced Donnie was to some degree a puppet for Andrew Friedman and Farhad Zaidi who were the ones calling the shots on the daily line-up changes. They also no doubt made the call on the "shift" in the NLDS that was responsible...due to the fact Donnie didn't have the Dodgers prepared on how to handle it once the play was over...for ultimately ending the Dodger season.

That right there is reason to worry that whoever the Dodgers ultimately hire as manager, no matter how good of one they end up with, that alone may not fix all the problems. And I'm not talking about personnel problems....yes, they need a new starter, they need to resign Greinke, they need bullpen help...I'm talking about the fact they will need to find a guy willing to be "puppet #2".

I wouldn't take that job. If i'm managing the team, I want control. I don't want some number-crunching geek who has worked out all possible outcomes of lefties vs. righties on a 2-2 count in the bottom of the 6th with RISP and one out. Nope, I want to put a consistent group of guys out there who have been hand picked because of something those numbers can't measure. Heart. Desire to win. Competitive spirit. If a number cruncher is going to trump me in my job, and tell me what to do, they can SHOVE that job in no uncertain terms.

Donnie was just that kind of softy. He made a wonderful puppet. He just couldn't manage worth a darn. So maybe the guy showed he still has a little self-respect by leaving. I know I respect him more for it. He wasn't the right fit (which is a nice way of saying...he sucked). Right now he sports a fairly decent winning record as an MLB manager. Enter the 4-year contract with Miami.

You can kiss that goodbye now, Donnie. You've got one great pitcher over there, a speedster who developed a bat you can reunite with, and one hell of a monster home run masher.

And that's it. Time to live in mediocrity. But good luck to you anyway.

But back to the Dodgers. If these two numbers guys are the wave of the future for the Dodgers, then I don't expect the results to improve anytime soon. And that's unfortunate. Hope I'm wrong. Maybe...ownership will spend the money they need to to win.

Quote Originally Posted by KGoldin View Post
    He was really able to whip those sweathogs into shape, and look at what a star Travolta turned out to be
    think Gabe Kapler would be an amazing choice
    Ken -

only problem is that was Gabe Kaplan, not Kapler.

- Smitty

Quote Originally Posted by xpress34 View Post
    Ken -

only problem is that was Gabe Kaplan, not Kapler.

- Smitty
    Hey Smitty,

I have a sneaking suspicion that Ken was aware of that fact.

On a related note, your post reminded me of the character in the series '30 Rock' that wasn't able to recognize sarcasm. If I remember correctly, they said it was because he was from Canada. Did anyone see those episodes? They were pretty funny

-Chris
    Christopher Cavalier
    Consignment Director - Heritage Auctions

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCavalier View Post
    Hey Smitty,

I have a sneaking suspicion that Ken was aware of that fact.

On a related note, your post reminded me of the character in the series '30 Rock' that wasn't able to recognize sarcasm. If I remember correctly, they said it was because he was from Canada. Did anyone see those episodes? They were pretty funny

-Chris
    Chris, I am a Canadian...and I don't compute ?????
    WANTED -1977 Toronto Blue Jays game jersey

chris@pacmedia.ca

Banned

Cool Re: Don Mattingly's disgrace

The Sporting News reported that the Dodgers job is down to 2 people: Gabe Kapler and Dave Roberts. Bud Black apparently pulled out of the running after he received what he considered a lowball offer from Dodgers management.

Dave M.

Anyone here believe Dave Roberts will actually have control of making the Dodgers line-ups, pinch-hitting decisions, and pitching changes during the game? I believe that if he does, the Dodgers can only get better.

But something's telling me the orders will be coming in from the executive box upstairs, which is why they threw an insulting offer to Bud Black. They really didn't want a "real" manager. They wanted a guy who would just be happy with the position.

I hope I'm wrong. But something just ain't sitting well with me. If you are trying to find a good manager, and it's down to Bud Black, Dave Roberts, or that guy from Welcome Back Kotter....how in the word do you let Bud Black escape?

admin_old

Erstad was the other person in the final four. Two of the final four self select out? Something in the process is turning people off.

This is the thread that keeps on giving
    No doubt it will be active until at least the end of next postseason

I'm kind of scratching my head over this one...

There is a rumor (substantiated so it's now fact) that the Dodgers were discussing a straight up trade with the Braves....Joc Pederson for pitcher Shelby Miller. Both All-Stars this past year.

But that was based on the first half. Miller ended up 6-17. Joc couldn't hit a dead mosquito on the sidewalk with a swatter after the All-Star break. One "headache" tossed out for another?

Only problem is...Joc is talented and has unlimited upside once they re-tweak his swing. He's also a pretty dang good center fielder. Shelby Miller is a good solid pitcher, and would reverse that record with the Dodger line-up scoring him some runs...something Atlanta never did for him. He would help the Dodgers, especially in light of the fact Dodger ownership appears to have sold out us Dodger fans by not taking care of biz...which is to add another star-caliber starter to the rotation.

But Joc is supposed to be one of the Dodgers future stars, part of their equation of "getting younger". He came up to the bigs as their #1 prospect. The only thing certain to have gotten younger in the Dodger org...is the clowns in the front office playing "GM Team". I'm not liking it.

I don't believe this trade will take place. It's probably "a back-up plan" should everything else they're working on, fail. There's still Price and Cueto available.

Welcome to the Dodgers, Shelby.