Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Vintage Game Used Football Question

For those more familiar with collecting older game used footballs, do you know, in general, how many footballs were used per-game?

These days, each offense has their own ball to use.

In the 1970's, would a "game ball" have been used by both two teams' offensive units?

Banned

Cool Re: Vintage Game Used Football Question

Quote Originally Posted by RKO18 View Post
    For those more familiar with collecting older game used footballs, do you know, in general, how many footballs were used per-game?

These days, each offense has their own ball to use.

In the 1970's, would a "game ball" have been used by both two teams' offensive units?
    I can't give excat numbers, but back in the 1960s and some of tthe 70's, there were no end zone nets to keep FGs and PATs out of the end zone stands. Heck, In Chicago in the 1960s. one of the end zones was by the left field bleachers. PATs and FGs often were kicked onto Waveland Avenue, and there was a group of Ballhawks even back then who tried to catch and retrieve them. I also know via gretting one that, at least in Chicago, USFL games had no end zone nets for scoring kicks, neither.

Dave Miedema

Re: Vintage Game Used Football Question

Quote Originally Posted by sox83cubs84 View Post
    I can't give excat numbers, but back in the 1960s and some of tthe 70's, there were no end zone nets to keep FGs and PATs out of the end zone stands. Heck, In Chicago in the 1960s. one of the end zones was by the left field bleachers. PATs and FGs often were kicked onto Waveland Avenue, and there was a group of Ballhawks even back then who tried to catch and retrieve them. I also know via gretting one that, at least in Chicago, USFL games had no end zone nets for scoring kicks, neither.

Dave Miedema
    Very true. I also know that several stadiums would send ushers or security to try and get the footballs back from the crowd! It varied depending on the stadium/team.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Anthony Nunez
    Historian, USFL Houston Gamblers
    www.Houston-Gamblers.com

Thanks for the feedback.

This is the football I'm curious about:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LA-RAMS-Divi...item43cfebda2c

It was used during the Rams/Vikings divisional playoff game in 1978.

It's a Rams awarded game ball, but do you feel that the Vikings offense used this ball as well?

Bump for this old thread.

Still curious, does anyone know if this "game ball" from the Rams would have been used by the Vikings on offense?

Presuming the ball was used in the game and not just for presentation, then it is likely (though not guaranteed) that it was used for both offenses' respective possessions. Teams using their own balls started as far as I know in the mid-2000's after too many teams complained of the home team doctoring balls.

I can only give you examples from my collection.

Generally any ball with a specific event is usually tied to that event, I was told per Cook this was THE ball,

In any game, a team can provide the entire team a "Gameball", so at times and as is the case with several Jamal Lewis' balls I have they never saw a brush, let alone the field.

I've heard some cheaper teams, or when limited players get a ball this is not the case. My oldest (1984) was clearly a gamer.

No expert here, but I would say that ball is not used. Any actual game ball was more than likely reserved for elite players. They also would not have had that many to go around.

One final point on this, bought this a while ago and found it spring cleaning

Safe to assume if Little would get one, every team member would have. He never registered a regular season carry in his two years in the league. All players though contribue to a team, so it's justifiable that each player be awarded a ball.

http://www.nfl.com/player/rafaellitt...gs?season=2008

They prolly make one the best looking display pieces but I wouldn't buy one expected it to be game used.

Just bought this Toi Cook football on eBay. 99% sure it’s legit. The ball has 41 written in laces and the date code is from September 2000 which is when ball is used.
    Just curious as to what cook told you about our ball. Also if anybody knows why he sold his collection.
    Thanks for any info. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Joe-Montana...app-cvip-panel

So I was able to get a hold of Toi Cook through Facebook and he confirmed the ball is legit. He didn’t say if it was the actual ball but based on the usage, made date the number written on the ball and previous reports that these were the actual balls used for interception. Looks like I’m a proud owner of a joe Montana thrown ball. Don’t think there is to many out there.