Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Favorite player that never won a major award?

Just curious on what forum members will say on this. Who are your favorite player(s) in various sports who never won a major league award.... Such as the regularly recognizable award (like MVP, Cy Young, Comeback player of the year, Ed Block Courage, Man of the year, Rookie of the Year etc.), also other big awards such as All Star/Pro Bowl Selections, Post Season MVP, or Rolaids Relief Pitcher of the year. I wouldn't shun Player of the week awards, as they great awards to win, but not on the same level as the previously mentioned awards. Super Bowl or WS winners could be included, as long as no major individual award was won (as a professional).

Here are a few of mine that come to mind....

Baseball - Dan Johnson, Rob Deer, Randy Choate, Billy Bates, BilLSpiers, Pete O'Brien

Football - Shaun King, Paul Gruber, Jeff Query, Travis Jervey, Broderick Thomas, Ty Detmer, Leshon Johnson

admin_old

Re: Favorite player that never won a major award?

Delino DeShields, Mark Whiten, Bernard Gilkey come to mind. Several of my favorites stumbled into an all-star game, taking them out of consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Delino DeShields, Mark Whiten, Bernard Gilkey come to mind. Several of my favorites stumbled into an all-star game, taking them out of consideration.
    Gilkey may not have won any major sports awards, but he does have the distinction of having played himself in a movie, however briefly. (Okay, technically, his character is listed in the credits as "Baseball Player", but he plays a Mets outfielder and he was a Mets outfielder at the time.)

O.J. McDuffie. He was building a very solid career from 1993 to 1998, constantly improving his yards per year and averaging about 12 yards per catch and 7 TD's a season. In 1998, he even led the NFL in receptions with 90 but somehow did not make the Pro Bowl even though he was one of the best WR's in the AFC that season. Even with a career high 90 receptions and 1050 yards with 7 TD's, he never registered on the ballot. Then he developed Turf Toe and it ruined his otherwise solid and promising career at what was most likely the halfway point.

Interesting side note on Juice, he is an avid and very talented bowler and was even recorded bowling a 300 game (The video is on YouTube)

As a fan, I'm still a little sore on his 1998 omission.
    Bieksallent! My Player Collections:

http://sami-salo.webs.com

Quote Originally Posted by jake33 View Post
    Just curious on what forum members will say on this. Who are your favorite player(s) in various sports who never won a major league award.... Such as the regularly recognizable award (like MVP, Cy Young, Comeback player of the year, Ed Block Courage, Man of the year, Rookie of the Year etc.), also other big awards such as All Star/Pro Bowl Selections, Post Season MVP, or Rolaids Relief Pitcher of the year. I wouldn't shun Player of the week awards, as they great awards to win, but not on the same level as the previously mentioned awards. Super Bowl or WS winners could be included, as long as no major individual award was won (as a professional).

Here are a few of mine that come to mind....

Football - Shaun King, Paul Gruber, Jeff Query, Travis Jervey, Broderick Thomas, Ty Detmer, Leshon Johnson
    For Ty Detmer, I'd consider the Heisman Trophy as a major award

In baseball for me, it is Lenny Harris. All time pinch hit leader, could play anywhere in the field.

Banned

Smile Re: Favorite player that never won a major award?

Quote Originally Posted by Jags Fan Dan View Post
    In baseball for me, it is Lenny Harris. All time pinch hit leader, could play anywhere in the field.
    +1 from me on Lenny. I always found him to be a great guy, and got a GU cap from him while he was with the Marlins. Currently, we're Facebook friends.

Dave Miedema

Quote Originally Posted by sox83cubs84 View Post
    +1 from me on Lenny. I always found him to be a great guy, and got a GU cap from him while he was with the Marlins. Currently, we're Facebook friends.

Dave Miedema
    I was never an autograph hound, but one day I had awesome seats at the reds game and he came over and signed my ticket stub without me even really asking. Stands today as the only autograph I have ever gotten at a game.

Juan Pierre (3x SB leader, 2 time Hits leader) 2200+ hits .295 career average.
    Ebay seller: mancaveauctions

Collecting Marlins Game Used jerseys, Jeff Conine,
    250 HR / 250 SB Club Members.

Quote Originally Posted by mook03005 View Post
    Juan Pierre (3x SB leader, 2 time Hits leader) 2200+ hits .295 career average.
    Agree 100%. Pierre was old school and a major factor in the Marlins WS win.