Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Reggie White Super Bowl Jersey

I'm curious to see how high this one goes. There are a lot of great items in this auction. I'd love the Barry Sanders Helmet. I've never really heard of Worthridge but I'm not an auction house guru.

Peace,

John

http://www.worthridge.com/Reggie-Whi...ac-LOT107.aspx

Re: Reggie White Super Bowl Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by swainer View Post
    I'm curious to see how high this one goes. There are a lot of great items in this auction. I'd love the Barry Sanders Helmet. I've never really heard of Worthridge but I'm not an auction house guru.

Peace,

John

http://www.worthridge.com/Reggie-Whi...ac-LOT107.aspx
    The Sanders helmet is all wrong and doesn't even come close to anything worn by Barry that season especially from hi-res pics from that Pro Bowl...

Back bumper sticker is all wrong and look at the SHORT stripes...
    I was initially excited when I first saw it for I wanted to pair it with my 1995 Photomatched Barry Sanders jersey but once I started looking into it, I realized it wasn't what I was hoping it would be... :/

Just trying to help...
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by VISUALCONCEPTSNJ View Post
    The Sanders helmet is all wrong and doesn't even come close to anything worn by Barry that season especially from hi-res pics from that Pro Bowl...

Back bumper sticker is all wrong and look at the SHORT stripes...
    I was initially excited when I first saw it for I wanted to pair it with my 1995 Photomatched Barry Sanders jersey but once I started looking into it, I realized it wasn't what I was hoping it would be... :/

Just trying to help...

Quote Originally Posted by VISUALCONCEPTSNJ View Post
    This is the 1995 Lions back bumper decal... (the one on the back of the helmet in auction looks like it was taken off of a kid's toy...)

VISUAL.....I agree 100%. I don't think this was his 1995 regular season helmet or 1996 Pro Bowl helmet. Jim Lachey #78 (Washington Redskins) once told us about his trip to the Pro Bowls in the early 90's and how the players would exchange game worn equipment with each other. He brought out an Emmitt Smith Cowboys jersey from his attic he said he got from Emmitt after the 1991 Pro Bowl exchange. It was signed and had no game use what so ever. It even had the new retail style tagging still attached, Apex if I remember correctly. But definitely an issued road white style jersey the Cowboys would have worn. I know the guy that still has it, one of Jim's friends. I'm "guessing" that is probably what happened with the Barry Sanders helmet if a helmet was given to Reggie White after the game. Barry gave him something other than his game helmet, either a practice helmet or something from the equipment room of the Lions and Reggie White or someone in his family took it as being his game worn '96 ProBowl helmet. The helmet definitely look good as far as an issued style Lions helmet. I can't explain the odd style decal added to the rear bumper unless someone in Reggie's family added that. Just guessing and my opinion on the helmet.

I see this one differently. The only substantial deviation from the game photos is the decal on the rear bumper. It may have been removed for anonymity for the Pro Bowl, been added specifically for the Pro Bowl or potentially even removed entirely (original label) and then added as an afterthought (current label).

I believe the face mask was changed specifically for the Pro Bowl game (I own a helmet to which this was also done). It certainly appears that the silver screws adjacent to the Riddell label match the photos from the February 1996 contest (they appear to be black during the 1995 reg. season). The straps and mouth piece are consistent with the Pro Bowl photos. I like the labels on the back, and believe that the dark markings around (and underneath) the warning label are present in many game photos during the 1995 season.

I wouldn't fret over the shortened striping at the front of the helmet. I think this is common with many taped stripes on older helmets.

If I were considering the lid, I'd confirm all of the date identifiers before bidding. However, I don't share the same concerns expressed in this thread. I like it and believe it to be authentic. Again, just another man's opinion. Best of luck to those who chase it!

Quote Originally Posted by JDubbs73 View Post
    I see this one differently. The only substantial deviation from the game photos is the decal on the rear bumper. It may have been removed for anonymity for the Pro Bowl, been added specifically for the Pro Bowl or potentially even removed entirely (original label) and then added as an afterthought (current label).

I believe the face mask was changed specifically for the Pro Bowl game (I own a helmet to which this was also done). It certainly appears that the silver screws adjacent to the Riddell label match the photos from the February 1996 contest (they appear to be black during the 1995 reg. season). The straps and mouth piece are consistent with the Pro Bowl photos. I like the labels on the back, and believe that the dark markings around (and underneath) the warning label are present in many game photos during the 1995 season.

I wouldn't fret over the shortened striping at the front of the helmet. I think this is common with many taped stripes on older helmets.

If I were considering the lid, I'd confirm all of the date identifiers before bidding. However, I don't share the same concerns expressed in this thread. I like it and believe it to be authentic. Again, just another man's opinion. Best of luck to those who chase it!
    Jason,

why not worry about the short stripes above the Riddell plate on the front?! Short stripes like that NEVER appear in any 1995 game photos or in the 1996 Pro Bowl... That makes it IMPOSSIBLE to be regular season or Pro Bowl worn especially if it was supposedly given to Reggie after the game (that means the striped would've never had time to be changed by the equipment room)... Then on top of that the rear bumper decal... too much just doesn't add up for me to ever feel comfortable with it... Just too many Bad Barry Sanders items popping up in the hobby lately. This is just my opinion though...
    If you would, please post pics of what black marks that you feel line up... I'm very curious to see what you are referring to.
    Also, I feel that the mouth piece on the helmet being auctioned looks BRAND NEW...
    Thanks so much,
    Jay

I truly appreciate everyone's responses!!! Very interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by JDubbs73 View Post

I totally understand that certain parts of helmets can be changed during the course of the season… but look how many inconsistencies are present from October of 1995…

Hey Jay - All good points, and I certainly appreciate your position and concerns. I'm not advocating the helmet, rather just simply stating that I would feel comfortable with it. In full disclosure, I have no intention of pursuing it. Any potential buyer must conduct their own due diligence and establish their own comfort level. There is always risk.

I'll offer my take on your comments below, and break it up over a couple posts.

[QUOTE]Short stripes like that NEVER appear in any 1995 game photos or in the 1996 Pro Bowl...[QUOTE]

Agree. However, these could have been trimmed or manicured anytime after the fact by White (or anyone in possession of it). These are taped on. The tape may have peeled at a certain point or receded as a result of storage (humidity, etc.). The Craig and Green helmets also have receding or shortened stripes. It appears that the adhesive residue is still present on the left side of the picture included below, which would lead me to conclude that these were longer while in use.