Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

5 of 6 HOF inductees are former Braves

I didn't realize until yesterday that Tony Larussa played nine games for the Atlanta Braves in 1971, as a second baseman, going 2/7 with one run scored. He thus joins Joe Torre, who starred with Atlanta and later managed them to the 1982 Division title, and of course Cox, Maddux, and Glavine as ex-Atlanta Braves. Only Thomas is going into the HOF with no Braves' history.

Re: 5 of 6 HOF inductees are former Braves

Thomas was not good enough to be a Brave!

I'm kidding. I'm kidding!

It's kind of a shame that John Smoltz pitched that one last season in Boston, as they all could have gone in as one class.

Quote Originally Posted by ironmanfan View Post
    It's kind of a shame that John Smoltz pitched that one last season in Boston, as they all could have gone in as one class.
    That would have been even cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by ironmanfan View Post
    It was a shame I had to watch him pitch that season in Boston

I guess Smoltz and Chipper will round out that Braves' 14-year run. As a lifelong southerner and Georgia native, I was surprised when, on my trips north, I found Braves-haters during the 14-year run. I think one writer called them "an evil empire in Dixie." I followed the Braves since they came to Atlanta in 1966, and I lived through their first 25 years when they won only two Postseason trips (One under Torre in 1982) and went 0-6 in postseason games. So as much as I value parity in sports, I don't feel guilty about finally having some good times!

One good line: Steve Phillips, when he was Mets' GM, said to Cox and Schuerholtz: "If I ever have to identify you guys in a lineup, I'll have to ask you to face the other way. You've always been in front of me." (Of course, he was kidding, as he didn't expect them to be in any lineups.)

I only got to attend one World Series in Atlanta and wish it would have been more. The opportunities were there, but Bobby Cox made a few blunders. Maybe, more than a few. With his team talent, he should have had 3 titles. I didn't really think Cix was very good and didn't like his wife-beating actions. The others were great!

Quote Originally Posted by Chess2899 View Post
    I only got to attend one World Series in Atlanta and wish it would have been more. The opportunities were there, but Bobby Cox made a few blunders. Maybe, more than a few. With his team talent, he should have had 3 titles. I didn't really think Cix was very good and didn't like his wife-beating actions. The others were great!
    The Braves had 3 HOF pitchers and Chipper Jones during that time, not much more.
    The only reason Atlanta won what they did was because of Cox's management of ball players who were mostly cut from other teams or would have been bench players on other teams.
    The Braves didn't spend very much on filling the roster with top tier talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Roady View Post
    The Braves had 3 HOF pitchers and Chipper Jones during that time, not much more.
    The only reason Atlanta won what they did was because of Cox's management of ball players who were mostly cut from other teams or would have been bench players on other teams.
    The Braves didn't spend very much on filling the roster with top tier talent.
    McGriff, Justice and Gant weren't too shabby during the mid 90s.

Quote Originally Posted by Chess2899 View Post
    A solid argument could be made that had the Braves had Mariano Rivera as their closer or even if he didn't play for the Yankees, the Braves would have won up to 5 World Series in the 1990's. Not taking anything away from NY but 1996 specifically and 1998 and 1999 to a great degree could very possibly ended with a Braves title rather than a Yanks title.

The fact remains, every great season of Braves baseball post Hank Aaron was under the coaching of Bobby Cox.

It was a great day to be a Bravos fan. And to think Smoltz, Chipper and Schuerholz are still to come! (If Gold gloves count add Andy Jones too )
    Bieksallent! My Player Collections:

http://sami-salo.webs.com