Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What is the most that over paid for an item?

I was just curious on what was the most you over paid for a legitmate G.U. item, either that the player was a bust or just that you went a little beyond the worth because you wanted it bad?

www.jerseydave.com

Re: What is the most that over paid for an item?

Easily my Jim Thome jersey.. I paid $1400.00 for it and I cannot even get a small nibble to purchase it for $600.00... thats the biggest loss I would/will have taken...

David.

I bought a Black Alternate Game worn Frank Thomas White Sox jersey from the mid 90's for $1,195.00 a while back and when his career was in the dumpster (before last year) I sold it in a Mastro auction and it as far as I can remember sold for $600-700 somewhere around there. Oh well, you win some and you lose some at least the guy who bought it was happy

There are probably many that are too embarrassed to Post on this subject as I should probably be to admit that I spent $4,000 for a Sammy Sosa 1999 HR inscribed Cubs game used jersey. Sold it on auction last year for $1,400. OUCH.

I know Brett Herman can share how he was the recipient of Rafael Palmeiro Orioles significant game used jerseys in the post-steroid timeframe that the seller lost several thousands on as Brett took advantage of all the bad press Rafael received.

What do they say---timing is everything!

I think many people have learned on the selling and buying side that modern players values can fluctuate greatly based on several factors, but most significantly "major" scandal.

Andrew

You guys are making feel a little better about the 2002 Roberto Alomar home pinstripe that I sunk down $1500 for.

David

Quote Originally Posted by www.jerseydave.com View Post
    Easily my Jim Thome jersey.. I paid $1400.00 for it and I cannot even get a small nibble to purchase it for $600.00... thats the biggest loss I would/will have taken...

David.
    Got any pics of the Thome jersey ?

www.jerseydave.com

Quote Originally Posted by thomecollector View Post
    Got any pics of the Thome jersey ?

Just e-mailed you some photos...thanks..

David.

PS, are you still interested in the Veterans Stadium #25 (Thome) stadium seat? I never heard back from you on it...

How do you think the guy who paid $42,000 for McGwire's 1986 home jersey in North Shore Sports 1998 McGwire/Sosa auction feels right about now? Or worse yet, what do you think McFarlane would get for his $3,000,000 McGwire home run ball in today's market? Ouch.
    Rob Steinmetz
    www.authenticgamers.com
    authenticgamers@aol.com

Paying top dollar for Chicago Cubs game used equipment!

Quote Originally Posted by RobSteinmetz View Post
    Or worse yet, what do you think McFarlane would get for his $3,000,000 McGwire home run ball in today's market? Ouch.
    I agree that the market value of that McGwire ball doesn't get anywhere near that level though it's hard to argue that Todd McFarlane didn't get $3M worth of publicity for buying it.

Assuming the ball sells for $250,000 today (which I believe is a stretch), McFarlane would stand to lose $2.75 million. You can run a pretty swanky public relations campaign for that kind of scratch.
    Rob Steinmetz
    www.authenticgamers.com
    authenticgamers@aol.com

Paying top dollar for Chicago Cubs game used equipment!