Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The most overrated player! Unless you love them

Every team has that guy (or guys) who were mediocre, sometimes good with credentials that most people would see as an ok player yet somehow have been elevated to cult status by that team's fan base. However a bar bet on whose team is most diluted on the subject compels me to ask: Which sports team has elevated the worst "who?" to HOF status?

Wayne Chrebet was my pick. Came out of Hofstra U. (where?), had a decent career in the NFL (who'd he play for?), killed my team when they played.

Jets fans are screaming I'm an idiot. Most other people outside NY...?

So, who is that guy, the urban legend, the Papale of the Eagles so to say?
    Bieksallent! My Player Collections:

http://sami-salo.webs.com

Re: The mlost overrated player! Unless you love them

I wonder if this thread should be moved to the General Sports Discussion...

Anyway, in the 1960s we had a guy like that - Bob Allison. The media liked to talk about Killebrew and Allison, Mr. Upstairs and Mr. Downstairs (because Harmon's home runs were high, towering drives that went deep up into the leftfield stands, and Allison's were more of the line-drive variety.) They played together for 12 seasons, were roommates, wore numbers 3 and 4, usually batted one after the other, and were generally considered a formidable 1-2 punch.

Well... Allison actually only drove in 100 runs twice in his career (Harmon did it 9 times.) Allison's best home-run year was 1963, when he hit 35, and Harmon bested that figure 9 times.

As far as clutch games, Allison was a combined 2 for 30. That's right... a batting average of .066. This includes 0 for 4 in two All Star games (with 3 strikeouts), 2 for 16 in the '65 Series (with 9 strikeouts,) and 0 for 10 in the 1969 & 1970 ALCS. Killebrew hit .273 in his All Star and Post-Season games, going 18 for 66 with 6 homers.

There are a bunch of people who love Bob Allison, and I'm sort of one of them. He played the game hard and was a decent player. But whenever I see his name paired with Killebrew, I have to smile and shake my head. He was nowhere near Harmon in terms of overall production, the ability to win games, or clutch hitting.

A good player but highly over-rated.

Everyone not named Mark Buehrle, Frank Thomas and Paul Konerko on the 2005 White Sox World Championship team. Fan Base was bitching and moaning when Aaron Rowand was traded for the future Hall of Famer Jim Thome who was still hitting home runs on a very high level for all but one year with his time with the sox.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
    I wonder if this thread should be moved to the General Sports Discussion...
    You are totally right. I re-read my post and somehow in my zest for posting the question forgot a crucial part, the crux of my inquiry.

I meant to ask: which players reputation as an icon amongst a team's die hards renders their game used material seemingly overpriced to the point of absurdity by everyone....except that players fan base?

I still admire Chrebet btw, this wasn't an attempt to disparage him. True long shot, earned a roster spot, came from nowhere to be a productive NFL Receiver for a few seasons. I simply meant Jets fans see him in a much brighter light, defining him in much more grandiose terms vis a vis his career, than the average NFL fan.
    Bieksallent! My Player Collections:

http://sami-salo.webs.com

I'm going to have to go with Brad Ausmus while I lived in Houston.

Tom Waddle and Chris Zorich for me.

Banned

Derek Jeter. Take him out of NY and he's no more popular than a Robin Yount or Paul Molitor. Great players but not the elite.

Re: The most overrated player! Unless you love them

Hate to say this but many "grindy white guys" get elevated to a cult status by fans. Maybe because fans see the limited talent, but appreciate the hard work. Good players, but not HOF'ers... I think these guys got elevated by local fan bases.

baseball
    Johnny Gomes
    Gregg Zaun
    mark lemke
    Jason kendall
    mike fetters
    jim gantner
    Kerry wood
    adam kennedy
    david Eckstein
    kent hrbek
    gary Gaetti
    brett gardner

football
    mike alstott
    most team's #2 QB
    frank winters
    bill romanowski
    undersized or slower speed white guy wide receivers in general - dane sanzenbacher, marc boringter, joe jurevicius, ricky proehl, Brandon stokley, etc.

Re: The most overrated player! Unless you love them

Peyton Hillis as well

Quote Originally Posted by alexbartacustoms View Post
    Tom Waddle and Chris Zorich for me.
    Ha ha. I still have an Autographed Zorich jersey.