Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Fake Rawlings Official Major League Baseball (ROMLB) ? ?

Quote Originally Posted by onlyalbert View Post
    NL was black AL blue? Can't remember. Late 80s?
    Pretty sure the NL was black until they got rid of the separate league balls and started using the MLB Selig balls.

Quick baseball 'ball' history...

1st - the 'black print' balls are in fact Official Rawlings Baseballs. Lesser quality leather. I never saw them at WalMart, but when OMLBs were still around $14-$15 at Target and such, Big 5 Sporting Goods use to carry these next to their 'Blue Print' OMLB Balls. OMLBs were $16. The Black Print were $9-$10,

2nd - YES, NL was Black, AL was Blue (a lighter blue than the OMLBs). The Darker Blue represents a combining of the League Balls into the OMLB Ball. They darkened the blue to represent the black and light blue blending.

Prior to 1934, the NL Balls had Black Print and were two toned stitched with Black and Red thread while AL Balls had Blue Print and were two toned stitched with Blue and Red threads. In 1934, they kept their respective print colors but went to all red stitching and continued until 2000 when the individual League Balls were dropped in favor of the OMLB.

Hope this helps

I think what's even more troubling than that ball is the replica baseballs from the early 1900's up into the 1930's. If I hadn't have seen the word replica in the auction description I would've never known the difference.

Here is one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Official-Ame...4#ht_63wt_1362

And another: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Official-Ame...#ht_613wt_1124

Very interesting post Smitty! Thanks for the information!

That would help to explain why my early 90's Pirates bats are covered black ink-transferred ball marks. Also solves the mystery of the 2 shades of blue ball marks I've seen on various bats.

Beat 'em, Bucs!

These were called replica balls and Rawlings issued them a few years back. They were 7.99 and from how Rawlings described it, everything was the same from an ROMLB with the exception of the black print. This was supposed to be the less expensive version of the ROMLB to be used specifically for autographs since the leather was the same. It didn't really catch on and they stopped producing them. I believe Anaconda Sports was a major carrier of this product.

In response to Sportsnbikes' comment about replica early baseballs (early 1900s) - who is making these? Is there an easy way to tell them from a real antique baseball? It's great that they are listed now as replicas, but what about the next time? I like the old balls, but I don't buy them now because I don't know if they are real or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Bhawk2 View Post
    In response to Sportsnbikes' comment about replica early baseballs (early 1900s) - who is making these? Is there an easy way to tell them from a real antique baseball? It's great that they are listed now as replicas, but what about the next time? I like the old balls, but I don't buy them now because I don't know if they are real or not.
    According to the listing, there is a stamped "replica" that can only be seen with a blacklight. That's all fine and dandy but what happens when someone figures out how to get rid of that stamp? I am not sure who is making them but there are several listed on eBay.

Quote Originally Posted by sportsnbikes View Post
    According to the listing, there is a stamped "replica" that can only be seen with a blacklight. That's all fine and dandy but what happens when someone figures out how to get rid of that stamp? I am not sure who is making them but there are several listed on eBay.
    The stitching is usually a give away.
    Compare the stitching to real examples. Most of the replica stitching is larger and will be more raised than the real ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Roady View Post
    The stitching is usually a give away.
    Compare the stitching to real examples. Most of the replica stitching is larger and will be more raised than the real ones.
    Agreed. I own about 6 pre 1933 balls and the thread used for the stitching appears thinner and is more 'pressed' into the ball.