Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Banned

Arrow Re: Mcgriff 2001 Chicago Cubs GU Jerseys

Chiming in here, one and all....I've been battling the flu for several days.

The size 50 jersey bears a Cubs "extra jersey" tag in the collar that is fully legitimate...size, year and set, but o uniform number. My belief is that is made for the Crime Dog, worn a handful of times, and subsequently not worn by him.

As far as Cubs collar tagging styles go, there is the one on the McGriff being discussed (3 IDs), the standard Majestic strip tag with 4 ID (the first of which was a uniform number), and occasional tagless versions such as the one in the Huggins & Scott auction, issued to midseason newcomers, of which McGriff was one

The 2000 Cubs gamers used the same ID sequences, but a different embroidery font, as the 2000 unies were subcontracted to Wilson, who used their tagging font. These, being subcontracted to Wilson, also do not have the interior 0062 tag, as both McGriffs do. Finally, 46 and 50 are both team only sizes, not sold via retail means.

Finally, I'm confident enough in the jersey that, if the winning bidder is unsatisfied, I will but the jersey from them at their cost. This is not a normal procedure of mine, but, I will go one step further in this instance.

Any more question? Just post 'em, and I'll try to answer 'em.

Dave Miedema

Re: Mcgriff 2001 Chicago Cubs GU Jerseys

Dave,
    Thanks for your response and the basis of your opinion.

Mike

Dave hope you are feeling better as I know the flu can literally put you out.

Regarding the jersey in question.

You authenticated another McGriff same year home white but that one is a size 46. Size 46 is consistent with all McGriff gamers from later in his career including 2001, 2002 and 2003. A size 50, even a size 48 is unheard of from McGriff.

Any chance a mistake was made in authenticating the size 50? Did you take the fact you authenticated a size 46 as being worn by him in the same year? It would be odd to have sizing that far off in the same year, Or find you just go by the tagging?

To be clear I have never seen a size 50 worn by Fred McGriff.

Thanks for your response Dave. I am the owner of the size 50. That means I may have the only size 50 McGriff jersey and Flamechicken has the only raised C McGriff Cubs jersey. I will keep mine.

Pretty sloppy style matching by Goldin Auctions. My only question to Dave is whether he knows if both jerseys originated with same consignor?

Banned

Cool Re: Mcgriff 2001 Chicago Cubs GU Jerseys

Quote Originally Posted by DeacDoug View Post
    Thanks for your response Dave. I am the owner of the size 50. That means I may have the only size 50 McGriff jersey and Flamechicken has the only raised C McGriff Cubs jersey. I will keep mine.

Pretty sloppy style matching by Goldin Auctions. My only question to Dave is whether he knows if both jerseys originated with same consignor?
    Doug:

I was not made aware of who the consignor of either/both jerseys was. The only time a name gets involved with the information I use in examining a jersey is team/family/player provenance, which I'll still research anyway. I do not know the identity of the consignor in over 95% of the items I look at for Goldin and Huggins & Scott, and would prefer it that way...I want to analyze the item by its characteristics, not the identity of the owner/consignor.

Phil:

The tags are, indeed, what swayed me.

Dave M.

Quote Originally Posted by sox83cubs84 View Post

Phil:

The tags are, indeed, what swayed me.

Dave M.
    Thanks for the answer. I just want to say that I do not agree with your assessment on the jersey as being worn by Fred McGriff. I do respect your dedication to authenticating and doing your best to get it right though. Offering to buy it back for what he paid is pretty stand up in my opinion.

If it was me and I won the jersey I would not be happy. However I did not win the jersey and it seems the winner is happy with what he bought.