Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Grey Flannel Does The Right Thing Even 6 Years Later!

There are positives and negatives to many auction stories, so I thought I would share one in which Grey Flannel did the right thing, even 6 years later.

A fellow Juan Gonzalez collector had a 1989 Juan Gonzalez #13 Game Used Road Jersey, which was authenticated by Grey Flannel and sold in their November 17, 2004 Winter Auction for $1,500.

I knew Juan Gonzalez was issued #13, as shown in their 1989 Texas Rangers Media Guide, but never knew if he actually wore #13 in a game, before eventually wearing #19.

I wrote to Major League Baseball and got the video for Juan Gonzalez's Major League Debut Game on September 1, 1989. Well, after viewing the video, I found that Juan Gonzalez never wore #13, because #13 was worn by Harold Baines for the Texas Rangers in 1989.

Juan Gonzalez made his Major League Debut wearing #19, and never changed his number until he left the Texas Rangers.

Grey Flannel was contact and provided proof. In the end, and especially it being 6 years later, Grey Flannel reimbursed him the entire $1,500.

Michael Russek was the one who made this happen. I commend him for doing this!

A successful story that you often don't hear about!

I don't think an auction house should be authenticating items they sell in their auctions. Conflict of interest.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Regards, Tony

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

~I'm sorry, I can't hear you....my World Series Ring is making too much NOISE! - Alex Rodriguez~

Re: Grey Flannel Does The Right Thing Even 6 Years Later!

Sorry, meant 9 years later!
    Regards, Tony

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

~I'm sorry, I can't hear you....my World Series Ring is making too much NOISE! - Alex Rodriguez~

This thread will likely be locked or deleted before we're 2 hours into the pre-game, but...

Michael Russek was the one who made this happen. I commend him for doing this!
    I find M. Russek pretty easy to deal with.

I don't think an auction house should be authenticating items they sell in their auctions. Conflict of interest.
    Is it even possible to adequately authenticate the volume of game used items that auctions houses have in their catalogs? It's about nice catalogs, Wiki bio pasting and marketing. I've contacted 4 auctions houses that everyone on this site would recognize, pointing out errors in their listing. In each case, the item description was quickly changed. No phones calls to discuss and in 3/4 cases, no return email to even acknowledge. How confident are they in their authenticating when the peanut gallery can fire off an email and they immediately amend their research findings?

Is there a way you can tell me how you contacted MLB to get the videos? I would love to get video from a 5 game stretch in 1998. Heck, I would kill someone for it.

Quote Originally Posted by cfern023 View Post
    Is there a way you can tell me how you contacted MLB to get the videos? I would love to get video from a 5 game stretch in 1998. Heck, I would kill someone for it.
    I'm pretty sure I know exactly which 5 game stretch in 1998 you are referring to. Cfern could you please send me an email have a question for you about the upcoming Marlins winter warm up. Thanks!