Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Billy Williams Cubs GU Pants???

The seller is trying to say these pants were worn by Billy Williams. His justification is that the "26" on the tagging is for the player's number when it is clearly identifying the inseam, based on previous cubs game used pants.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301083883933...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Re: Billy Williams Cubs GU Pants???

Quote Originally Posted by doobie_man1 View Post
    The seller is trying to say these pants were worn by Billy Williams. His justification is that the "26" on the tagging is for the player's number when it is clearly identifying the inseam, based on previous cubs game used pants.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301083883933...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    B-e collectibles should really take the time to do some research instead of flooding the market with made up crap. Let's be honest they put no effort into research, pictures or description.

This seems to be very common. I've pointed the same thing out to sellers of mid-70's A's pants that had a 28 on them. Once, the seller changed the listing. Otherwise, not. I suppose it happens with other stars with similar uniform numbers, but there are probably hundreds of easily disproved pairs of "Billy Williams" pants out there.

b-e collectables seems to have a history of being pretty careless with their listings. I recall numerous items that have come into question on this board and others that point out inaccurate listings.

Banned

Thumbs up Re: Billy Williams Cubs GU Pants???

I was asked to authenticate a Billy Williams jersey a few weeks ago (not by B&E) and the item was the victim of tag tampering. The style, white with green placket braiding, was worn by Oakland in 1982, but was tagged 1983. On top of that, while wearing 28 as an Oakland player in the mid-70s, Williams wore his standard #26 as an early '80's A;s coach. The number on the tag read 26, but close inspection revealed that threads had been removed from the number in a place that made it look lie 26, when it was actually 28.

I don't doubt the honesty of B&E, but their research on their inventory may be the worst among hobby dealers, even more so than Pro-Am Sports in NC.

Dave Miedema

Hey Dave--- Remember those great Stan Marks bulk Cubs sales of the mid-to- late 1970's ??? Every now and then something will prod a great old memory.
    Mike

Banned

Smile Re: Billy Williams Cubs GU Pants???

Quote Originally Posted by MSpecht View Post
    Hey Dave--- Remember those great Stan Marks bulk Cubs sales of the mid-to- late 1970's ??? Every now and then something will prod a great old memory.
    Mike
    I certainly do, Mike. Those went on into the mid-1980s. Stan and his buddy, Miles Locke, got some good stuff into the hobby back then.

Dave Miedema