Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Daryle Lamonica Raiders Helmet from AFL Championship Game??

I will check the date code to see what year it is from when I get it. I know Helmet Hut has a 1969 helmet in their collection. A lot of the players wore their helmets for more than one year I believe. Getty Images might even have the wrong date on the photo that shows the same helmet. I will try to do more follow up to see how many and what years it was worn. Hoping to find pre 1969 helmet photos before the little Raiders decal was put on. Should have the helmet Friday I hope.

Found another photo stating he wore this helmet in 1967. Will try to find out more photos. This photo, although a little small, seems consistant with the Getty Photo I first mentioned that they say he is wearing in 1968. You can see the little Raiders emblem and the same hit marks. The helmet does look like it has more than one year's worth of use on it.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Got the Lamonica helmet today...looks great. Not able to post pics yet because of work but here is a brief description. Riddell Kra Lite RAC-K2 Aero-Cell helmet. Date is 1968. Has the 12 point suspension minus the crown pad. Jaw pads missing, and as expected no facemask. Strip of tape pulled off that can clearly be seen on the inside back of the helmet, guessing his name on tape was applied there then removed at some point. Outside of the helmet shows tremendous wear, and lines up perfect with every pic that shows him wearing the little Raiders decal in front. Transfer mark colors show white, green, red and a heavy blue/green color near the back #3. Thanks SPEEDKILL21 for pointing out the 1969 year, I'm sticking with most use coming from that year, and that was still an AFL playoff year, and a big game against Buffalo with 6 TD passes. Lamonica had another MVP season this year too.

Late 1960's Daryle Lamonica Raiders Helmet
    Attached Images Attached Images       

Just read through the updates and saw the photos...congrats! It's a beautiful helmet.

Thank you. I can remember my first football card, a Daryle Lamonica 1970 3-D card pulled from a box of Corn Flakes. I was hooked on Lamonica and the Raiders ever since. Never thought I would ever own one of his helmets. Should I leave the helmet as is or can it be restored by someone like HelmetHut to put back the parts that are missing? I myself have no problems keeping it like it is but would like to see a facemask put back on....open for suggestions.

Nice piece. I would leave it untouched. If anything try and find the year and style facemask.

Fantastic piece and quite rare to see a RAC K2 with all its Aero Cell padding intact! I would recommend that IF you do anything to it, restoration wise, make sure it is reversible and not a permanent change. Things like adding a vintage, two bar face mask but using the drill holes already there or snapping in a pair of well worn, leather jaw pads would be considered reversible and would not affect value in the long term.

I agree. If you can find vintage replacement parts and not disturb the integrity of the helmet, then go for it. Just always bear in mind that it's an amazing piece "as is".

Incredible pickup! Very nice gamer. I echo what one other said…if you can work with Curtis at Helmet Hut…find the correct face mask and clips for the period and use the existing holes for mounting I'd do so. For me a helmet without a face mask is like wearing a undershirt (t-shirt) without my dress shirt…maybe a silly analogy but for me…something is missing on a helmet without the face mask.

Again congrats on a very nice addition to your collection and l love the photos you've found too!

Tom

Go Pack! NC State 1981 alumni