Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: Canseco 88 WS Jersey!!!!! need opinions ASAP

i was just wondering if the 1989 world series jersey is more desirable, then the 1988 or 1990. I'm assuming its because he won in it 89. the question is which one would you take, and why? I like the 88 , just because of what he accomplised in that year. the werid thing is about the game used world series 1989 bat on ebay awhile ago. nobody bid on it, and that could of been one of the best Canseco bats you could get. when he hit the homerun in game 3. I guess most people here collect jerseys. thanks Dan

Quote Originally Posted by mailman93 View Post
    i was just wondering if the 1989 world series jersey is more desirable, then the 1988 or 1990. I'm assuming its because he won in it 89. the question is which one would you take, and why? I like the 88 , just because of what he accomplised in that year. the werid thing is about the game used world series 1989 bat on ebay awhile ago. nobody bid on it, and that could of been one of the best Canseco bats you could get. when he hit the homerun in game 3. I guess most people here collect jerseys. thanks Dan
    To me the 89 is more disirable. First they won the series that year. Second I think it's more interesting to look at because of the Bart Giamatti arm bands. I would agree that game one of the 88 series was probably the pinnacle of Jose's career.....until the ninth inning that is. Doh!

Ah, the 89 game 3 bat on ebay. I really wanted that bat. I mean I really wanted it. I was going to bid on it but at the last minute I had to run to work and it slipped my mind so I didn't get my bid in on it. Does anyone know how to get a hold of the seller?

I was a little concerned about couple things though. First, the auto was faded. Second, there was no 1989 American League Champions printed on it like some of the other bats I've seen. As a matter of fact in the WS video you can clearly see it printed on a bat as he's waiting for the pitch. Although they could have cut that footage from another at bat. They did that on the 88 video. I'd love to get a photo match on that bat. Also, the COAs are copies and not originals. Either way I still want it.

-Jason M

those prices were in major auction houses, that price is minus the hammer fee plus eveything else. I paid alot less for my 1988 world series jersey, and my 2000 road yankees world series jersey. plus I didn't have to pay anything extra. I have a question,either a world series jersey or a rookie jersey of Canseco? my choice is the rookie jersey. if you guys want to check out my jerseys, just go to webshots.com and look under LEAFS93. thanks Dan
    Took me awhile. But finally got to your Canseco stuff and that is a great collection (Nice Maple Leafs stuff in there too)! I really like that rookie alternate yellow jersey. Was it a Sunday home type of jersey, did they even have more than one set of those? I see you also have a batting helmet of his. How often have those surfaced? I think helmets are one of the toughest things to find from some player's. I agree, I would have loved to have seen his first home run ball ebay auction run to the end. With that picture posted in here, pretty much authenticates it as the real deal. Not many balls can be proven like that one, especially with no MLB certification/Steiners around to prove it is what it is back then..........

I would have bid on the 1989 bat if I had managed to fulfill two requirements: 1) Having the available funds, and 2) Having a photomatch proving the bat was the actual bat used to hit the home run in the 1989 Series.

I got burned on a Canseco bat a couple of months ago and I've told myself I'll do all my homework before bidding in future. I just want to be as close to 100% as is possible. I emailed the seller recently, after it had went unsold twice, and asked if he'd be interested in selling and if he had a photomatch. He was unsure about selling and didn't have the photomatch. If anyone has a good shot of that home run I'd love to see it, at which point I'd get to work on persuading him to sell.

I think Jason said it as well as anyone could on why Canseco is so collectible. I too grew up with Canseco my favorite player (got into baseball as a kid in the late 80s), he did do things like nobody else - and this is the thing - considering the prevalance of steroid use throughout the 1990s, how many hitters ever managed to excite in the way Jose did? I have never seen batspeed like Jose had in his prime, never, not from one single player. The steroid use was something you also knew deep down, but growing up with baseball in the 80s and 90s, it was probably easier to accept what was going on.

thanks guys for the kind words about my collection. I'm from Toronto, so hockey is hugh here. I love my Leafs. the alternate was worn on sundays, like alot of teams do now. I really don't know, if they worn more then one a year. Batting helmets are very rare, because the Teams keep them. I talked to Jose about that on the phone, and thats why you don't see many of them around. I think the hardest thing to obtain is a fielding glove. I've only seen 2, in the last 6 years. mine is really beaten up, very good use. thanks Dan

mailman93 - Now I feel lucky. I have a Canseco game used helmet in my collection. I'd love to get a Canseco fielders glove someday. Tough to find.

CansecoPower33 - You are right my friend........Bat speed.

-Jason M

Jason M,

Can you tell me what issue of sports illustrated hass the pciture of canseco's 1st HR ball?

Thanks,
    Dave

Hi Dave,

My problem is that I cut out the articles and made sort of a scrapbook. I'm trying to remember which one it waas but it's been so long ago that I bought the magazine. The article is called "Kiss that one goodbye" by Ron Firmrite. Great article. I'll try and figure out which one it was. It seems like it would have been around June because at the time of the article Canseco hd 19 HRs and 66 RBI.

-Jason M

Sorry for the double post. It was probably the June 9th issue with Larry Bird on the cover. I'm not 100% sure but I think that's the one.

-Jason

I am the seller of the Canseco 1989 World Series 3rd Game Bat. I too would love to see a photo match of the exact at bat that he hit it in. The bat is authenticated by PSA/DNA as the bat he used to hit the 3-run homerun with in game 3 of the 1989 World Series and the Auto is faded a bit but in person it is very clear. I have looked at a couple of World Series cards and it does appear to be the same bat as far as marks on it, but if someone could come up with a closeup of it I would appreciate it. Then I would either sell it or cry over a fake bat. But I do believe it is the real thing. Taube must have done his research on it to authenticate it. When I sent the 400th HR bat to him it graded a game used 10 and was authenticated but after he grilled me with questions about it for 15 minutes. He almost wouldn't authenticate it because he was curious why it wasn't signed. If anyone can help, please let me know. Hey Dan, are you the one on the Fan page of Jose's website with me and my daughter?

Todd