Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Re: Frank Thomas HOF rookie game worn cap

Quote Originally Posted by stasman View Post
    Thanks Roady. No worries.. I like to hear both sides of this thread so I can judge for myself. members always have ideas or links that help me better learn the hobby. I've been a collector for 30 years and learn new things everyday. I am excited about this hat and I will display it well in my collection. There are always two sides to autograph collecting and even PSA gets it wrong sometimes. Thanks
    I shouldn't have butted in when you can take care of yourself.
    Sorry TwinLakesPark for my tone.

Thanks for the back up. Always appreciated. Go Sox

One of the very few things i dislike about this site is the overwhelming negativity, especially since I am an optimist and the glass is always half full. I can see how I just participated in that and I just threw up in my mouth.

With that said, I grew up in Sarasota, FL, the former spring training home of the White Sox and single A affiliate, Sarasota White Sox. I watched Frank come through the single A team on his way up, and then got to watch him in Spring Training every year until 95. I was a kid then and was at the park every day, through work outs and games.

What is really sad is that so many adults during that time (who had clubhouse access) tried to scam a group of us kids that hung around the clubhouse and fields, in which we were always getting bats from the players. I can't count how many times guys would come out of the clubhouse with a hand full of singed balls (by FT) and would try to trade us for the bats we had gotten that day. All of them were fake. It was happening so much that we got really good at picking out which ones were fake. Frank even came out to us one day after an extended work out and asked to see some of the fake balls, which then got security involved who then revoked the clubhouse credentials of the guys who were doing it.

When I saw that autograph, specifically the sharpness of the "3", sharpness of the "5", the peak of the "F", and the cross line that he makes between the F and T, it triggered some flash backs that got me really fired up.

Sorry to rain on the parade, I just called it how I saw it.

No problem Twinlakespark. I always appreciate other members views and comments. If I wasn't interested I wouldn't post. Your concerns and advise are well taken. I take all the comments into consideration and I learn more and more with each thread and post. I enjoy GUU for that exact reason. Thank you for taking time and giving your opinion. Go Sox.

I just found a 2011 MEARS auction where a 1990 sox game worn Thomas helmet was sold and in the helmet is the 35 written the same as in my hat. And both are 7 1/8.

Banned

You would think a fake wouldn't have the pen run off the bill of the cap like that.

Good point. Looking like I may have his Rookie hat. WOW!!!!

Nice thing is, if you find a problem with the hat or auto, I'm sure BPH's won't have an issue giving you a refund. They're pretty stand up.

Kim at BPH is confident it's the real deal.

Frank Thomas will be at the March Show in Chicago. I have his H.S. Yearbook, maybe I will pay to have him sign the yearbook then show him the hat and see what he says.