Quote Originally Posted by MichaelofSF View Post
Tom Gordon 1988 game used jersey

1988 was the year the Tom "Flash" Gordon first came up to the show. He debuted in September of that year before making a huge impact as a rookie in 1989.

This 1988 jersey was possibly worn during his ML debut as well. I cannot verify this but his debut was at home and I don't know how many jerseys a September call up gets.

I purchased this jersey with the name on back removed. Lon Lewis did a great job following the original outline of the removed letters and restoring it for me. The lettering is not a vertical arched lettering. Gordon can be seen in photos (not sure if spring training) wearing a home jersey with similar lettering.
What I actually just noticed about my jersey is the front 3 and the back 3 are different fonts. The front 3 is more of the Wilson (more square) style "3" and the back "3" is more of the Rawlings (more turns/curved) style "3." The two photos of Gordon actually show him in a jersey with the same anomaly, that could actually be my jersey in the picture!

In addition to that, by his 1989 photos the home jerseys that he wears show the Rawlings style "3" present on both front and back photos. On his 1989 UD card he is wearing the same jersey with the front 3.