As an addendum to my post above...

Having worked for Rawlings and Nike and having gotten to know on a somewhat personal level many of the players, some of those parents don't even realize that my friends or myself might have a better shot at getting some players to come over and chat and sign than their child screaming at the player for 15 straight minutes - and not even knowing the players name.

I can't tell you - and I'm talking about at the MLB level (Coors Field) - how many times Rockies players have come over to hi and then start signing and then the kids and their parents (the same rude jerks I mentioned above) now want to be polite and start asking, 'Who was that?'.

They aren't there for certain players, they are just there to get an autograph... I seen them yell at Coaches, Ground Keepers, etc to come and sign...

Great example - 2008 Spring Training at Hi Corbett - St Patty's Day - the Rockies usually toss many of their hats (with Green CR) into the stands after the game... Mark Stritmatter (former Rockies Bullpen Coach and now roaming instructor) is coming off the field and a group of kids are yelling 'GIVE ME YOUR HAT!'... not even a Please... 'Mister', 'Hey You', etc...

I calmly walk past them and yell, 'Stritty! May I please have your lid?' He looks at me and says 'My cap?' and I reply 'Yes Please.' He walks over in front of the kids and gives it to me.

I immediately get the squawkers telling me to 'Give it to a Kid!' My response? 'Can ANYONE tell me who that was or what he does?'.... SILENCE... So I said 'Have a nice day!' and left with my cap...

The next day, a Dad and his two kids were sitting next to my mom and I... Stritty threw a ball up to one of the kids and his brother burst into tears. Between innings I went to the rail, got Stritty's attention, told him the situation and he handed me another ball to give to the other boy... I think it made their day and their father was so thankful he bought me a beer...