Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Probably a touchy subject...

As an addendum to my post above...

Having worked for Rawlings and Nike and having gotten to know on a somewhat personal level many of the players, some of those parents don't even realize that my friends or myself might have a better shot at getting some players to come over and chat and sign than their child screaming at the player for 15 straight minutes - and not even knowing the players name.

I can't tell you - and I'm talking about at the MLB level (Coors Field) - how many times Rockies players have come over to hi and then start signing and then the kids and their parents (the same rude jerks I mentioned above) now want to be polite and start asking, 'Who was that?'.

They aren't there for certain players, they are just there to get an autograph... I seen them yell at Coaches, Ground Keepers, etc to come and sign...

Great example - 2008 Spring Training at Hi Corbett - St Patty's Day - the Rockies usually toss many of their hats (with Green CR) into the stands after the game... Mark Stritmatter (former Rockies Bullpen Coach and now roaming instructor) is coming off the field and a group of kids are yelling 'GIVE ME YOUR HAT!'... not even a Please... 'Mister', 'Hey You', etc...

I calmly walk past them and yell, 'Stritty! May I please have your lid?' He looks at me and says 'My cap?' and I reply 'Yes Please.' He walks over in front of the kids and gives it to me.

I immediately get the squawkers telling me to 'Give it to a Kid!' My response? 'Can ANYONE tell me who that was or what he does?'.... SILENCE... So I said 'Have a nice day!' and left with my cap...

The next day, a Dad and his two kids were sitting next to my mom and I... Stritty threw a ball up to one of the kids and his brother burst into tears. Between innings I went to the rail, got Stritty's attention, told him the situation and he handed me another ball to give to the other boy... I think it made their day and their father was so thankful he bought me a beer...

As a grown man, unless I am paying for an autograph, I would just move out of the way for the kids. I don't care if their parents planned or didn't plan. It's not the kids fault.
    As a collector I still know these guys are not Gods and nothing is worth going to war with children or their parents.
    And I sleep very good at night.

The worst part is when the kids, at there parents behest, force there way in to get an autograph and then have no idea who the guy is. Its hard enough to get an autograph because it seems a lot of players wont even sign for grown men. David Wright has signed a few times at roads games but he walks by anyone who is not under 12 or, of course, a good looking female. I don't understand why kids think they should, and are given anything they want. I look at it like this, in 10 years that 9 year old is going to be a rude, entitled PIA 19 year old with my, probably long forgotten, autograph.

On the other hand it is nice to be able to have my, now 14 year old, niece be able to get autographs for me.

You can buy anyone's autograph online for less money than it takes in gas and food to meet them and get it in person.
    Unless your life long goal is to shove a piece of paper in an athletes face and say hi all in a few seconds.

Banned

Talking Re: Probably a touchy subject...

Quote Originally Posted by 64SHEA View Post
    The worst part is when the kids, at there parents behest, force there way in to get an autograph and then have no idea who the guy is. Its hard enough to get an autograph because it seems a lot of players wont even sign for grown men. David Wright has signed a few times at roads games but he walks by anyone who is not under 12 or, of course, a good looking female. I don't understand why kids think they should, and are given anything they want. I look at it like this, in 10 years that 9 year old is going to be a rude, entitled PIA 19 year old with my, probably long forgotten, autograph.

On the other hand it is nice to be able to have my, now 14 year old, niece be able to get autographs for me.
    I hear ya talkin'. Several years ago the Astros were in town, and one of their coaches, Bob Lillis, was talking with a friend of mine who knows 1960s baseball and knows who Lillis is. The conversation they were having kept getting interrupted by brats who wanted an autograph even though they didn't know Bob Lillis from SpongeBob Squarepants. Lillis took a moment and asked the kids if they knew who he was. Of course, they didn't. Lillis, normally a great signer, told the kids that he wasn't gong to sign for people who didn't even know his name.

Dave Miedema

Everyones kids are brats unless it's your kids.

I understand the frustration but why would a grown man call children wanting an autograph a brat?
    Talk about setting an example. I bet you wouldn't call them brats to most of their fathers faces.

Some of you "adults" talk like children (brats) yourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by 64SHEA View Post

I know, I have been trying to get his 143rd HR signed since 2010!
    Always looking for Noah Syndergaard, Charlie Blackmon, Jordan Pacheco & Kenneth Faried items, thx!

I'm a firm believer in...You should not ask for some ones autograph if you do not know who it is. It's very rude especially the way parents "adults" and their children ask these days.

Just a different generation now. People believe players "owe" them something.

I'm a firm believer that if you find yourself getting mad at children then maybe you should find another hobby.