Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Player vs a former team

i have a 2003 Florida Marlins WS Poster (heavy cardboard stock) that I picked up at a Book Sale at my kid's school during the Holidays in 2003.

When the Marlins came to town the next year, they all signed it (Beckett, Cabrerra, Pierre, Willis, etc) although Beckett would not put WS MVP - his statement - 'That was last year'... I think he was on a contract...

That said, the Marlins traded Derek Lee that off-season. Every year - for the next 7 years - I would go when the Cubs came to Denver and Lee blew me off. Didn't matter if I was the only person or part of a group. If he was signing, he would see the poster, stop signing and leave.

In 2010, he came with the Cubs and blew me off, but got traded to Atlanta and came back to Denver again. All of a sudden, he went out of his way the 1st day to sign my poster 1st...

No explanation... just weird...

Doug Flynn apparently has rarely signed his 1986 Topps card:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UW2xI4IgbAQ

Quote Originally Posted by mbrieve View Post
    Doug Flynn apparently has rarely signed his 1986 Topps card:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UW2xI4IgbAQ
    Great video!

David Wells would only sign Blue Jays cards when he was playing. I've heard a handful of different reasons for it over the years, one being that he knew his Yankees cards would be worth the most and he wanted to only sign those for his kids or something similar. Creating demand by limiting supply. I've also heard he didn't like his time with the Blue Jays and thought scribbling on their cards defaced them. Who knows.

Orlando Hudson won't sign Dodgers items or his 08 A&G (it's an error card with the wrong player shown). He seems to be pretty cool about it. I've seen a note come back from him TTM that said something along the lines of "I don't sign Dodgers cards but feel free to send a different card and I'll be happy to sign it."

I had a Phillies Jason Werth jersey and he told me he does not sign Phillies stuff anymore.I said come on really and he just looked at me.This was a few years ago.

dscards,

I could see why David would dislike anything Blue Jay related. In his book he said his first stint was riddled with fines based on him being overweight and a handful of other "incidents" that soured his tenor there. His second stint, he did not want to go there at all. It's been a while since I read the book, which was very interesting and worth a read, but I think his first conversation when he got traded was about how he didn't want to be on a weight restriction this time around. All in all, he did not enjoy his time North of the Border.
    Always looking for anything John Flaherty, Drew Storen and Marcell Ozuna game used.
    jaeger_danny@yahoo.com