Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Steiner Sports is out of touch with Reality

Forum and Universe Members - we have all seen comments on this website about Steiner and how they are marketing their items and the high prices they are charging in the market. I have just had communication with them this morning that blows my mind. Folks at Steiner - I hope you read this so you can change your practices. Yes - you are selling a few items at high prices, but you are also being laughed at by the entire collecting and dealer community as to how you are pricing items and your lack of knowledge at what you are selling.

Last night, there were some Bobby Murcer pants in auction that had an opening bid of $250. Since Murcer jerseys are almost impossible, I had planned on bidding on these pants. $250 was really more than I wanted to pay - but in today's world - probably not too bad a price. They were home pinstripes from 1979. Well, I had a Christmas party to attend last night and I thought the auction would still be going when I came home, but it had ended. I sent an e-mail to Steiner last night asking that if the pants had not sold, I would be interested in them. Also - if they were available, would they consider reducing the price since they did not sell. I recently bought a pair of pants from them that they offered to me - unsolicited at $200 and I said no - and ultimately we agreed upon $100, so I thought they might consider selling the Murcer pants for less if they were not bid on last night.

The e-mail response I received this morning was unbelievable. Yes - the pants were available, but they were now $1,500. Apparently, the $250 opening bid was a "Special" and now that the..."Special".... was over, the pants were $1,500. I told them in a nice way that they could keep the pants. They sent another e-mail justifying the $1,500 and once again I said keep them - and please wake up and smell the coffee .......Steiner - are you listening!!! WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE!!!!

Guys - Am I missing something here????

Re: Steiner Sports is out of touch with Reality

Quote Originally Posted by JimCaravello
    They sent another e-mail justifying the $1,500
    How did they justify it exactly?
    Eric

Eric - their only justification was that the ......"Special" was over. Folks - I am not complaining - I am really not. I am not trying to criticize these folks. They have great stuff - but some times people in this hobby just wear you out and its very frustrating!!

Banned

Jim I hope you didn't perceive my post to have anything at all to do with you. By no means was I taking a cheap shot at you, I was aiming for Yankwood and his comments about bottle tipping. As for giving an opinion on Steiner I agree 100% constructive criticism is great in any business at anytime. I just feel some people on this forum are not constructive rather petty and irrational, you are not one of those people. This topic of Steiner seems to have really gotten crazy, I don't think I've ever seen 50 something posts on any topic on this page.

Quote Originally Posted by s.carter
    Jim I hope you didn't perceive my post to have anything at all to do with you. By no means was I taking a cheap shot at you, I was aiming for Yankwood and his comments about bottle tipping. As for giving an opinion on Steiner I agree 100% constructive criticism is great in any business at anytime. I just feel some people on this forum are not constructive rather petty and irrational, you are not one of those people. This topic of Steiner seems to have really gotten crazy, I don't think I've ever seen 50 something posts on any topic on this page.
    Well, if being "petty", "irrational" and non"constructive" means expecting a bit of attention on the phone after spending hundreds of dollars, well then color me INSANE . I'm not sure how old any of you are and although I am not yet, and I stress YET erectially dysfunctional, I am old enough to remember when being treated with a little common courtesy was a source of pride from most well-run businesses. If we, and that includes you or anyone, are not important enough to get a response more flippant than I received by the Steiner lot, well then we all should be spanked because we have all allowed this attitude to become prevalent these days. I know for a fact that many of the posters on the site make a few bucks off schmucks like me. And that's great. We DON'T have to let ourselves be talked down to by an outfit that seemingly sees itself as too important to keep something so simple as an effin' shipping record and basically hung up on. And also, YES, we CAN sit hear and bitch about how much something costs because that is part of what we as a society do. And I believe what forums like this are for. Informing each other of what we like and dislike about our hobby. We all moan and groan about prices. Not just sports related items but in the everyday world. Cars, houses, GAS, etc......If some of you have more money than you know what to do with, well than great. You probably bitch about other things. I am guilty. I bought a Steiner item. I made a pact with the "devil". I have heard alot of complaints from others and now I understand why. I probably won't ever again. I can't promise that, and I am sure they won't miss my 2 or 3 hundred bucks. But if they jerk around 100 others like me, who resent being treated poorly by someone who just accepted my money, they may learn the hard way. So if I think spending $400 on an autograph of a living human is a bit on the high side, well then you are right and I am being very petty and irrational. But I think I have the right to express an opinion regarding it since I believe that's part of what this whole forum is about. On the other hand, it is also about praising others who do us well. Communicating, sharing experiences, bitching once in a while and joking with each other is the very essence of the hobby. Without it, it's just a store.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Yankwood
    I made a pact with the "devil".
    Can you give him my email address? I need to make a deal with him over something private.

Happy Holidays!

Quote Originally Posted by trsent
    Can you give him my email address? I need to make a deal with him over something private.

Happy Holidays!
    Well, at least I know now that you weren't the one on here who was "banned". It's about the ONLY forum like this that I haven't been kicked off of yet. I'm sure my time is coming, though. I didn't think you could be kicked off the internet, but I'm not far off.

Quote Originally Posted by JimCaravello

Apparently, the $250 opening bid was a "Special" and now that the..."Special".... was over, the pants were $1,500.

Guys - Am I missing something here????
    Hello Jim-

As an FYI, this is perfectly logical in what Jerry Seinfeld refers to as "bizarro world". Basically, in "bizarro world" it makes perfect sense to present an item to your entire database of customers at a given price. Then, when you have established that every one of your customers thinks that price is too high, you raise the price to 600% of the price at which you originally offered the item when someone who is interested inquires about it.

I'm sorry you have never heard of "bizarro world". However, now that you have you may understand a number of business practices that are being exercised in the market.

Hope that helps.

Sincerely,
    Christopher Cavalier

Chris - thanks for that insight. I must have missed that Seinfeld episode!! It still amazes me that they let a willing and able buyer just walk away like that.......

I'm glad others out there are starting to notice the complete lack of sense made by these people. I really don't understand the business sense being used here. I saw a listing that Bernie Williams was doing a private signing for Steiner in January. I sent a note to the promoter asking how much it would be for Mr. Williams to sign a bat of his that I own. I was told $400. I responded by telling him that I didn't need the bat, only for Bernie to sign it and he replied, "Maybe you don't understand me, $400 is for JUST the signature". Please explain to me how many people can afford or will pay $400 for an autograph of a living human being? If the charge was even $30 or $40, wouldn't this be a better business move in the long run? These people are chasing away future hobbyists as well as people like me. Before I concluded our correspondence I told him "Thanks for helping ruin the effin' hobby". Real mature, I know, but I felt compelled to say that. His respone was, "Hey, you win some, you lose some. Take it or leave it". I let him have the last word but I'm still thinking that classic two-word phrase we all know over and over in my head.