Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

"Tamper Proofing" Game-Issued Jerseys

I'd appreciate everyone's thoughts on this hypothetical question:

Say you're an equipment manager and you have several game-ready, blank jerseys in inventory. The jerseys can't be used next season (or ever) because of a slight change in the uniform. From a marketing perspective, you know these professional quality jerseys can be sold to the public and generate a good amount of money for the team (or at least offset their original cost to the team). But, you also fear that by selling properly tagged (0062) jerseys, you could be contributing to the problem of fraudulent jerseys.

How would you make these jerseys "tamper proof" and ensure easy identification in the future while protecting the marketability of each jersey?

Re: "Tamper Proofing" Game-Issued Jerseys

Good question.

I would do what the SF giants did and stamp the jerseys. Since these are non-usable pro jerseys I would stamped them.

"TEAM ISSUE NON-GAME USED OLD INVENTORY"

on the inside of the tail.

And for good measure, I'd remove any flag tags or extra length tagging.

Maybe also stamp on the wash tag "NGU" for not game used.

David

hi jeff,

interesting question. protecting the marketability of a jersey entirely depends on who you're selling the jersey to. you may implement a method which satisfies one group of buyers but is unacceptable to another.

if you're marketing towards the individual who wants to turn around and pass the game-issueds off as gamers then anything you do to the jersey will hamper the marketability. if you're trying to market the jerseys towards fans who want to wear the items or display them, then i think the best idea would be to take a sharpie and write "GI" inside the jersey and behind the tagging in front. that is, write it ON the jersey but on the inside, behind the front tagging. that way, it doesn't show from the outside so fans could still wear and display them. on the other hand, it'd be impossible to remove or replace because it's on the actual jersey itself rather than on a tag. if you simply mark up the tags, then shady individuals can easily just remove the marked tags and replace them with clean ones. permanently mark the jersey itself but in a location that's hidden when viewed from the outside. the sharpie will bleed through the fabric but it won't matter because from the outside, the bleeding will be hidden by the manufacturer's tag. it won't bleed through the tagging.

rudy.

I'd have a few tags made up that say something similar to what David (metsbats) suggested and sew one in the neck and one in the tail. This way, even if they're removed, there's the telltale stitch marks that remain.

Or perhaps use dye sublimation of a tag in the tail so it can't be washed out or removed.

Or do what a collector friend of mine did....with a game-issued jersey, he created his own repair pattern on the tail that spelled out "not game used". If you happen to see a jersey that has "tons of repairs" that are in the tail and actually spell out something, that may be it.

the cost the team gets back from selling their jerseys are really quite nominal considering their payrolls are over 10 million and the shirts cost 100 bucks apiece. i really dont think the teams really care about the collectors thats why they dump them off to dealers. every team has the premium players and thats what the bulk dealers are buying, they get their costs back from a few shirts and dump the rest. a simple "purchased from ....." is the simplest way. then again if people are resewing 0062 codes into shirts all bets are off, it dont matter what they do. in my opinion if you want to make money invest in real estate or dabble in the stock market, buying superstar shirts is risky business. Jeff