Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

World Wrestling Entertainment - Kane's ring worn mask from Survivor Series 2000

Greetings, GUU! I am new to the forum and thought I'd kick off my time here by sharing what is probably my most prized possession - Kane's ring worn mask, worn at Survivor Series 2000, the following night on Monday Night Raw, and finally at "Smackdown" later in the week.

The mask has a unique story, so I'll share it with those who care to hear it.

Several years ago in what would have been 2006 or 2007, I took a leap of faith and purchased this mask on eBay, despite it not having any documentation verifying its authenticity. The seller had the starting bid set at $500.00 and the "Buy It Now" price set at $750.00. The auction ended with ZERO BIDS and I contacted the seller, offering him his starting bid of $500.00, he accepted and promptly shipped the mask upon being paid. Upon receiving the mask, I began what would end up being countless hours of research in an attempt to trace the mask back to Kane. I eventually stumbled upon an exchange on Yahoo Answers, where one community member gave the name "Matthew Mansour" as being the individual who created the original Kane mask design in 1997. I knew that my mask was not from that era, but I figured that Matthew could help me. A simple Google search revealed Matthew's contact information and I emailed him photos of my mask. He said that he did not make it, but he believed it to be genuine. He told me to contact a woman by the name of Terry Anderson of Wheaton, Illinois, who he said was the costumer responsible for making Kane's masks after he stopped. I used the White Pages website and started calling every Terry Anderson in that area.

I was told during one phone call on that the MR. Terry Anderson that works in this particular establishment was out to lunch and would be back within an hour. I said that there was no need to phone back as I was looking for a woman who makes costumes for professional wrestlers. I expected to be laughed at, but the man told me that I was likely talking about Mr. Terry Anderson's former wife, who has the same name and who also makes wrestling costumes. I could hardly talk after this. I phoned back and Mr. Terry Anderson confirmed that his former wife does, in fact, make costumes for wrestlers. He was uncomfortable with giving me her contact information, but he said that he would give her mine and forward photos of the mask to her.

I received an email from Ms. Terry Anderson the next day and she had fabulous news. She informed me that she DID make the mask for Kane and that he had, at that point, only given away three masks in his entire career. She said that she would be happy to sign it, as would Kane.

Terry and I arranged to meet at Port Columbus International Airport on May 11, 2009 as she flew in for a show at Nationwide Arena in Columbus, Ohio. Upon meeting Terry, she pointed out to me the remains of her original signature - something that I had previously failed to notice, and provided the mask with a fresh autograph.

On March 22, 2011, I took the mask to Nationwide Arena with hopes of catching Kane as he arrived for the show that evening. I missed him by 20 minutes and had to wait nearly 11 hours for him to exit the arena. After the show, employees began to exit and walk to their cars. I spotted Terry and, to my surprise, she recognized me! I explained that I had the mask and would be thrilled if Kane would sign it before leaving. She kindly sent Kane a text message for me and then had to be on her way. By this time, a substantial crowd of fans had gathered at the back of the arena with hopes of catching a rare glimpse of their favorite wrestlers. Kane would eventually exit, but he got in his car and prepared to leave. As he left the parking lot, I was shouting at him: "I have your mask! Please sign it!" He did a u-turn and came back for me! I think that he read Terry's text as he drove off and realized who I was. I handed him the mask through his passenger side window. He signed it, handed it back to me, and left. It was the most surreal experience of my life.

Just recently, I attended a trade show where James Spence Authentication would be accepting on-site autograph submissions. I would have preferred to have had it done by PSA, but that would have meant shipping the mask, which I am not at all open to. Anyway, JSA gave the autographs a thumbs up and provided a nice Letter of Authenticity for my mask.

My holy grail:

Re: World Wrestling Entertainment - Kane's ring worn mask from Survivor Series 2000

That is a GREAT story. Love the mask and the research you did to get it authenticated. Congrats on a great piece.

Re: World Wrestling Entertainment - Kane's ring worn mask from Survivor Series 2000

Agreed, really cool story. Did you photomatch it to the matches in 2000?

[I met Kane a few years ago during the New York ComicCon, prior to it opening to the public. He was trying to find the guests "green room" and asked if I'd give him directions, so I offered to show him instead. As we walked thru the convention (and he was in costume), we chatted for a few minutes, he was really friendly and crazy tall.]

Agreed, *great* story, thanks for sharing.... and congrats.

Gentlemen, your kind words mean more than you know!
    Quote Originally Posted by emann View Post
    Did you photomatch it to the matches in 2000?
    I sure did, to the best of my ability.

Awesome mask! I would love to see some more WWF / WWE items on here. Thanks for sharing!

That is an amazing story and such an awesome piece to own. Congrats

I am a big wrestling fan and this is a great story.And you do have a great piece as well.

Quote Originally Posted by OSUBucksCollector View Post
    Awesome mask! I would love to see some more WWF / WWE items on here. Thanks for sharing!
    I agree...absolutely awesome mask!!

Regarding your comment about wanting to see other WWF/WWE items on this thread, here is Yokozuna's WWE Hall of Fame Ring:

http://www.goldinauctions.com/LotDet...-of-Fame-Ring-

The ring was presented to Yokozuna's son as it was given posthumously. It was pretty rare to see someone of Yokozuna's size with his athletic ability. Not to take anything away from the mask but I figured some might want to see given the request to post other items here.

-Chris
    Christopher Cavalier
    Consignment Director - Heritage Auctions

BucksCollector, Phil, Geoff, Chris - Thanks, guys! The mask is very special to me and I am happy to see that it is appreciated by others, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCavalier View Post
    Regarding your comment about wanting to see other WWF/WWE items on this thread, here is Yokozuna's WWE Hall of Fame Ring:

http://www.goldinauctions.com/LotDet...-of-Fame-Ring-

The ring was presented to Yokozuna's son as it was given posthumously. It was pretty rare to see someone of Yokozuna's size with his athletic ability. Not to take anything away from the mask but I figured some might want to see given the request to post other items here.

-Chris
    I think that BucksCollector might have meant that he'd like to see more WWE items on the site in general, not in this specific thread, but I'm totally okay with it being posted here. That ring is beautiful - certain to be a centerpiece of any WWE memorabilia collection!