Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Historic Auctions- Conflict of Interest?

Just wondering-

I know the last time Historic Auctions had an auction, they sold ASI items which were authenticated by Brad Wells.

Nowhere in the auction descriptions did it disclose the conflict of interest regarding Mr. Wells having (currently or at one time) a financial interest in the ASI items AND being the authenticator.

They are again auctioning items with ASI stickers like this
    http://www.historicauctions.com/sear...ctionid/33019/

and again, I do not see this conflict of interest explained to the consumer. Is it somewhere and I just haven't found it?

I know that this was reported to federal authorities and a consumer protection agency last time since it is a punishable offense, so I'm wondering if they have changed their ways.

Eric
    Always looking for game used San Diego Chargers items...

Re: Historic Auctions- Conflict of Interest?

Eric..those are brads new ASI stickers..if you see his Jones items it is the same font but with AJ25.
    Bryan Oberle

My point is- do people realize he has been associated with asi AND he is the authenticator.

That is a conflict of interest.

The Bob Feller signed baseball with ASI sticker has been taken down

That leaves the following baseballs with asi stickers AND brad wells letters

John Kruk http://www.historicauctions.com/sear...ctionid/32871/
    Sammy Sosa http://www.historicauctions.com/sear...ctionid/33021/

My only thought on the Sosa ball is that the hologram pre-dates the formation of the current ASI (Brad Wells) and was issued when ASI was known as Authentic Sports Investments when Scot M. was the President.

I think James Brown reads the Forum so it would probably be a good idea to mention any possible, implied or inherent conflict of interests between authenticators and items in the catalogue.

Every single auction has has a conflict of interests to some degree on EVERY auction, they want to authenticate the item so it will sell. Case and point on historic auctions last auction when they sold for over $3,000 cobined a fake Carnell Williams and a fake Michael Clayton. i have ran into this problem with almsot every auction house, the point is that all buyers should do their homework before puchasing and NOT leave it up to a piece of paper that magically becomes a COA.

Jake

That's not what a conflict of interest is. A conflict of interest is when the seller is also the authenticator and that information is not disclosed to the consumer.

Eric, a conflict of interest is

When a person is in a position of trust which requires them to excercise jusgement on the behalf of others, while at the same time has INTERSTS or OBLIGATIONS of the sort that could interfere with the excercise of judgement.

So, YES auction houses are ALWAYS dealing with a conflict of interest

Quote Originally Posted by jake33 View Post
    Every single auction has has a conflict of interests to some degree on EVERY auction, they want to authenticate the item so it will sell.
    If it were done right, THEY wouldn't be authenticating the item. An unbiased third party would be...

Amen eric, that is EXACTLY how auction houses should be ran UNBIASED 3rd parties, I have long thought that Jim Yackel would be an EXCEPTIONAL mediator or authenticator with tremendous integrity and product knowledge...