Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

What Causes This Type of Baseball Staining??

I saw this signed Orel Hershiser baseball on Ebay and when I looked up the MLB Authentication sticker it states the ball was signed in 2006. What causes a ball to stain like this in such a short amount of time?
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Re: What Causes This Type of Baseball Staining??

Quote Originally Posted by dodgerblue View Post
    I saw this signed Orel Hershiser baseball on Ebay and when I looked up the MLB Authentication sticker it states the ball was signed in 2006. What causes a ball to stain like this in such a short amount of time?
    Ive been told its from the oil on the person touching the baseball. So i always hold the baseball on the seams just in case this is true.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

I'm not sure but it's frustrating. Part of the reason why it's hard for me to collect baseballs. Even toning is ok over time but the stains...ugh!!!

I've been told various reasons as to why this occurs. The oils from hands, chemicals reaction to light, heat.....etc...

Its very frustrating to say the least.

I have a ball that is signed by Stan Musial, Red Schoendienst , Marty Marion and Terry Moore. I personally handed the ball to each person and received the ball when they were finished. It was never in sunlight however it has several stains and yellowing.

I still enjoy the ball but makes me sort of sad that I'll not a better example to display.

The oil on your hands is part of it. If you ever seen a baseball how its made, there are youtube videos. There is a glue substance inside the ball that will also leak through the leather cover causing glue spots.

Holding the ball on the seems is crucial. Also the lighting in the room will cause problems to baseballs. As well as temperature.