Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Milwaukee Braves / Hank Aaron batting helmet question

Hello,

Do any of you know if the Milwaukee Braves ever put uniform numbers on the back of their batting helmets? I have an old helmet and have been trying to photo-match it. Hard to find photos showing the back of the batting helmet. the few I have found didn't have numbers on the back, but these were from earlier periods than my helmet, which I believe is ca '64/65.

Thanks.

feel free to contact me off site if you feel more comfortable. I'm at:

mandlhiggins@msn.com

Best,

Mel
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Re: Milwaukee Braves / Hank Aaron batting helmet question

Pretty sure the guy you bought this helmet from on ebay does nothing but forge items. Anyone else remember this seller? minimick07

Yes, that is his eBay handle. Anyone else have any information on this seller? He said he got the helmet from Jim Bibby. Helmet seems to be an authentic fiberglass ABC helmet from the time period. Accurate ABC label and pattent numbers inside.

Please pass on any other information you may have on this person as I was considering buying something else from him. His eBay rating is 100% positive with over 300 responses. Everything seems legit to me, but would like to hear stories of him if they are out there.

Thanks,

But you really think if he believed it was a real hank Aaron helmet he'd be selling it for $799?

The story I was given is that he purchased this helmet, and other items, from Jim Bibby in the 1990s when Bibby was a pitching coach for the local minor league baseball team in Lynchburg, VA. What checked out is that the seller is from Lynchburg, and Bibby was the pitching coach for the Carolina League's Lynchburg, Virginia ballclub from 1985 to 1999. Dates and places seemed accurate. The helmet came with a card, apparently from Bibby, stating Aaron gave him (Bibby) the helmet in 1973. Card was signed by Bibby. Since the helmet looked good, background story sounded good, and he had 100% feedback, I figured that he had bought these items in the 1990s and eventually left the sports collecting hobby and just wanted to sell some stuff off, having lost track of current prices.

Anyone know if Bibby was a collector of sports memorabelia? Anyone ever hear this story before?

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post
    Pretty sure the guy you bought this helmet from on ebay does nothing but forge items. Anyone else remember this seller? minimick07
    Isn't this the guy that would sell hall of famer helmets with really bad looking manikins?
    Mike

Looking for any White Sox jersey from Richie Zisk.

My website - http://www.freewebs.com/karamaxjoe/

"There are only two seasons - winter and Baseball"
    ~ Bill Veeck

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Index cards were the most popular method of getting signatures back in the day. I'd be curious to know if the signature is in the same pen and same handwriting as the autograph. I'm guessing the "letter" part of this document was probably typed?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Anthony Nunez
    Historian, USFL Houston Gamblers
    www.Houston-Gamblers.com

The post card I mentioned is not so much a post card, but rather a smallish piece of paper that is typed. The signature is "Jim" only, not the entire name. I was told that the Jim Bibby items each came had these pieces of paper coming with them. The sense I was given was that these were more for Jim Bibby's records and not for any reason of provenance. I was told that some of these were fully signed, some innitialed, and some not signed at all by Bibby. If the seller wanted to fake this piece of the item, I would have thought he would have at least signed his entire name.

Take it for what it's worth. If this is the same seller as I remember; he has sold a number of big name player helmets in the past. All for low, low proces. Two that I can think of off the top of my head: Killebrew and Koufax. Killebrew went for $500.

I followed the seller for roughly two months to see what else he sold and remember seeing him sell mutliple ABC helmets with no paint job or team representation. Just a basic blank ABC authentic helmet. They all had the proper tagging inside.

While doing some additional research I also found a company that massed produced fiberglass batting helmets back in the 80's I believe. Maybe the early 90's. Somewhat like the TriStar Hidden Treasures deal. They made a bunch of batting helmets and put them in packages for the public to buy. I'll do some research tonight to see if I can locate what I found before.

I'm not passing any opinion on this seller; just the facts on what I saw on eBay.
    Email: Tay1038@aol.com
    - Interested in Current & Vintage Minnesota Twins game-used memorabilia - Killebrew, Oliva, Carew, Puckett, Hrbek, Blyleven, Mauer, Morneau, Tom Kelly (Manager), Minneapolis Millers & St. Paul Saints

Yikes on the spelling error guys! My bad.
    Email: Tay1038@aol.com
    - Interested in Current & Vintage Minnesota Twins game-used memorabilia - Killebrew, Oliva, Carew, Puckett, Hrbek, Blyleven, Mauer, Morneau, Tom Kelly (Manager), Minneapolis Millers & St. Paul Saints