Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Which player's "game worn" jerseys are most commonly faked?

I noticed that REA pulled a Mears A10 Pete Rose jersey after re-evaluation.

That got me thinking about how many questionable Rose jerseys I have seen in the short time I have been collecting.

Whose jerseys do you think are most often faked as being fame worn (excluding Scoreboard jerseys, which were not originally sold as game worn)?

Again, I have limited experience, but it seems like in baseball, Pete Rose and Nolan Ryan (Astros and Rangers) are abundant. In basketball, it seems like Michael Jordan leads the way. Not sure about football.

Banned

Angry Re: Which player's "game worn" jerseys are most commonly faked?

I can offer a few definite problem areas:

MLB; Pujols, McGwire, Yankee stars (current and 1980s/90s), 1980s Schmidt, Rose and Carlton, 1974 Braves Aaron, 1975 Brewers Aaron, Nolan Ryan, Ripken Jr., Frank Thomas 1B mitts, Grieey Jr. (M's and Reds)

NBA: MJ, Kobe, Lebron (especially rookie year)

NFL: Sanders, Favre, Peyton Manning, Montana, Rice, LT (Taylor and Tomlinson), 1990s Cowboys stars, 70s/80s Steelers, Brady, Marino, Elway,

Dave Miedema

Re: Which player's "game worn" jerseys are most commonly faked?

Double-tagged authentic Champion basketball jerseys from the mid-1990s are a problem. I'm not sure if there's even a way to tell the difference between a retail authentic and a team-issued jersey... Maybe someone here knows.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Anthony Nunez
    Historian, USFL Houston Gamblers
    www.Houston-Gamblers.com

During the past 15 years, I have seen as many as six fake Pete Rose home jerseys from 1976.

Over the same time period I have seen dozens of fake Rose hats, helmets, bats, spikes, fielding gloves, batting gloves, etc. In general I have probably seen more fraudulent or questionable Rose items than real ones.

Montana and Barry Sanders are by far the two most faked NFL gamer worn jerseys out there.

There are numerous GUU threads that talk about the abundance of fraudulent Sanders jerseys. A 1998 Sanders shirt was sold at the recent VSA auction for a little over 1800$, which seems incredibly cheap. A number of years ago an early 90s home Sanders was offered to me for over 20K. This shirt was photo matched and had a team letter. Seems that 1800$ is nowhere near what it costs to own an authentic Sanders shirt but yet it still sold.

As for Montana it seems as if there is a different gamer of his in almost every auction. It is not possible for all of them (personally I think the majority of them are not authentic) to be authentic based on a number of factors.

When buying ANY NFL game worn jersey it is critical to do ones homework prior to bidding to avoid winning junk!

Always buying 49er game worn items.
    Paul
    garciajones@yahoo.com

Pretty sure favre is the only nfl player that has faked his own jerseys lol
    Ryan

NFL game used collector

Quote Originally Posted by ivo610 View Post
    Pretty sure favre is the only nfl player that has faked his own jerseys lol
    For real? Please, point me to this thread

Banned

Angry Re: Which player's "game worn" jerseys are most commonly faked?

I once reviewed a fake Ladanian Tomlinson Chargers jersey. As weird as it sounds, it wasn't a game jersey...it was a forgery of his DRAFT DAY jersey! The jersey did not match up to the photos Getty featured of him on that occasion.

Dave Miedema