Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
    Banned

Angry Highly Questionable "Press Conference" Jersey

Hunt's currently has up for auction a Phillies home jersey attributed to the press conference in which the Phils announced the signing of Lance Parrish. A couple of us with Parrish, Phillies, and general GU jersey smarts compared notes, and we find it almost impossible to believe that this jersey is anything more than a bogus item.

The jersey bears a strip tag in the tail unlike anything Wilson or Rawlings have ever used on Phillies knits. Also, the jersey has the Wilson tag in the collar...it should be in the front left tail.

Hunt's has had the problems pointed out to them, but still insist that the item is accurately described and is keeping it in their auction. Avoid.

Dave Miedema

Re: Highly Questionable "Press Conference" Jersey

Unfortunately the auction ended last night. The final bid was a little over $270.

Banned

Thumbs up Re: Highly Questionable "Press Conference" Jersey

Laser photo from the Parrish Phillies press conference. One would think than any jersey involved at the event would be at least held up for the cameras if one was part of the festivities.

Dave Miedema

Quote Originally Posted by sox83cubs84 View Post

Laser photo from the Parrish Phillies press conference. One would think than any jersey involved at the event would be at least held up for the cameras if one was part of the festivities.

Dave Miedema
    How many photos have you reviewed? Conceivably, several were taken and only one was used by this particular publication. I'm not making any comment on the authenticity of the shirt in question; I just wanted to state that not finding a picture with the jersey's being held up does not mean that that photo was never taken. Or not used by other newspapers...or sources besides the AP.
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

Banned

Don't forget, the jersey had tagging inconsistencies that were not found on any other MLB GU/TI Phillies jerseys of the era. If the jersey in question was, indeed, used in a press conference, why would they create a new one and add tags that the team never used with 1972-86 Wilson knits? Wouldn't the team just have grabbed something out of storage, instead?

Dave M.

Banned

Don't forget, the jersey had tagging inconsistencies that were not found on any other MLB GU/TI Phillies jerseys of the era. If the jersey in question was, indeed, used in a press conference, why would they create a new one and add tags that the team never used with 1972-86 Wilson knits? Wouldn't the team just have grabbed something out of storage, instead?

Dave M.
    Dave, remember, the staff of Hunt has years more experience than you do...

Oh wait, strike that comment. They just needed the $75.00 or so commission on the sale.

What really bothered me is their responses to my emails when I questioned the jersey. When I informed them I had spoken with two experts (Dave and Howard) and they both thought the jersey was fake, here is their response: "The jersey came from a collector who probably was given the information when he bought it. We talked about it and players generally don’t actually wear the jersey at the press conference, they just hold it up. The name plate is sewn on with white thread and the numbers with red. So, we’re guessing that a nameplate was affixed last minute to an existing jersey that may or may not be his size."

It bothered me seeing "probably was given the information" and "we're guessing that a nameplate was affixed"

I would think they would do more investigation than making assumptions and guessing. Perhaps if it was a $50K jersey, they'd look into it a little more. I'm bummed because I need a Parrish Phillies jersey to add to my collection but obviously I'd like an authentic jersey.

Looks like the "press conference" jersey has surfaced on eBay. Seller's description is less deceiving than Hunts...

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...id=97860589145

Banned

And it STILL has a bid of $280! Go figure!!

Dave M.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by swainer View Post
    Looks like the "press conference" jersey has surfaced on eBay. Seller's description is less deceiving than Hunts...

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...id=97860589145
    And it STILL has a bid of $280! Go figure!!

Dave M.
    It was a bit more honest from findings on this forum so bravo!