Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Mickey Mantle Used Bat

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Jensen View Post
    MEARS has assured us that based on their grading standard, this bat remians an A7 due to the fact that the 35 inch, 33 ounce bat was the bat he predominantly used post career. The 37 oz. bat was definitely and unusual order for the Mick and serves as the exception. The bat can not be pinpointed to a specific documneted record but it definitely falls within the length & weight requirements for Mantle. We have notified the current bidder of the update to this lot and will be monitioring future bids to do the same.
    Hello Steve,

I have two questions for you:

1) In the current LOA, under the "Manufacturer Characteristics" there is a line entitled "Matches factory records". On that line the LOA says "Yes". Given what we have now seen regarding the actual factory records, do you believe this bat matches those records?

2) Given your statement above that "The bat can not be pinpointed to a specific documented record but it definitely falls within the length & weight requirements for Mantle", I assume you are acknowledging there is no record of Mantle ordering a K55 bat in the 1973-75 label period. If so, do you not think this is relevant information for a potential buyer to know? Specifically, why does your auction description not disclose that there is no record of Mantle ordering this bat? Do you not think this is especially relevant given the LOA mistakenly claims the bat "matches factory records"?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Sincerely,
    Chris

Chris-

1. Matches factory records means that the bat matches known length and weight for Mantle bats. ie. all other post career records show mantle ordering 35 inch 33 ounce bats give or take 1/2 inch or ounce. The 37 ounce bat order was an isolated example and definitelt not the norm.

2. This is how the description now reads on our website: "While not found in Mantle's personal ordering records, it does measure appropriately at 33 oz and 35" and exhibits significant game use throughout with medium ball, surface stitch, and rack marks across the barrel's surface with nice deep factory stampings." I believe this address the "acknowledgement" issue.

The bat does match all other records but can not be pinpointed to a specific order. Based on MEARS criteria, a bat does not need to be traced to a specific order to earn a grade of A7. It needs to match known exemplars/records which this one does.

Best,
    Steve

www.vintageauthentics.com

Chris- MEARS is also in the process of issuing a new cert removing mention of the bat being in Mantles bat order records in the comment section. It will still state "yes" under "matches factory records."

Best,
    Steve
    www.vintageauthentics.com

Banned

Steve,

You should have MEARS remove from the "Comments" section the part stating:

LS factory records show that Mantle ordered 35", 37 oz, K55 model bats on 2-25-74.

Totally irrelevant to this bat.

Yes- They are doing that and re-issuing a new LOA.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Jensen View Post
    Chris- MEARS is also in the process of issuing a new cert removing mention of the bat being in Mantles bat order records in the comment section. It will still state "yes" under "matches factory records."
    Hello Steve,

You have stated in a previous post that "Ultimately, the responsibility lies with us as an auction house to provide quality and authentic merchandise and we are 100% committed to doing so." If that is true, I have some questions for you. You have acknowledged in your quote above that there is no record of this bat in Mantle's documented shipping records. In addition, K55 bats are very well known (and documented) to be a pro stock model for Mantle meaning they could have been ordered by the Yankees, other players, other teams, promotional replicas, etc. Given these facts, how can you possibly sell this bat representing it as "matching factory records" for Mantle with a 7 grade?

I have spoken to numerous knowledgeable bat collectors and every single one believes "matching factory records" means a specific order can be found on the player's shipping record card during the specific labeling period which matches the model, length, weight, and finish of the subject bat. Are you now offering bats in your auction that represent a new definition for "matching factory records"? According to your auction description (along with the claim that this bat "matches factory records"), any 35 inch, 33 ounce Mantle bat in existence can be said to "match factory records" regardless of whether there is a specific order for the specific model during a specified labeling period or not, including pro stock models. This would certainly be news to the bat collectors I have spoken to and I think we would all be interested in knowing how, and when, such a change took place.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Sincerely,
    Chris

Chris-

Good question. Also a good question for the folks at mears. What is the definition of "Matches Factory Records?"

I'll post it.

Eric
    Always looking for game used San Diego Chargers items...

I posted this yesterday and am waiting for the response...

Definition of "Matches Factory Records?"

November 15 2006 at 12:09 PM Eric Stangel Eric Stangel (Login EricStangel)Hello-

Maybe this has been addressed, if so I apologize for the repeat but...

Could you give your definition of "Matches Factory Records?"

Does it have to do with a single bat order, or a general look at a player's orders over his career, or even the perspective of what other players order during an era.

Thanks
    Eric Stangel
    Always looking for game used San Diego Chargers items...

Eric - Steve Jensen mentioned on one of his posts that they would be contacting the high bidder with the changes. The bat is still at $1,000 in the auction.

So I guess the high bidder doesn't care that this bat does not match factory records? This bat and thread are very interesting to me.

• A COA is proven to be wrong as the bat does not match factory records ( whether it was intentional or just a mistake doesn't really matter as that is irrelevant ) -
    • the auction house changes the description to state that the bat matches known examples of bats ( even though this K55 bat could have been ordered by anyone ) -
    • the grading company sticks to the A7 grade -
    • and the auction company and authenticator sleep at night knowing all these facts??........
    • AND - I still feel the wood quality of the bat looks "promotional" or "store model quality" to me........
    I am at a loss for words - I have seen everything now......This means that Factory Records are irrelevant to the authenticator and auction company - fascinating as Mr. Spock would say........

It will be interesting to see if they respond.....Jim

Eric - here is something else I find quite comical. See Jensen's comments from an earlier post below:

"MEARS has assured us that based on their grading standard, this bat remains an A7 due to the fact that the 35 inch, 33 ounce bat was the bat he predominantly used post career."

Now go back up and look at Jeff Bird's post above with his posting of Mantle's Ledger Card.

There are 8 entries from 1969 to 1974 and NOT ONE OF THEM is for a 35" 33 ounce order. Also - in reviewing the online Mantle Charts on GUU - here are all of his 1969 orders:

24 - M110 Bats - 35" & 32 ounces
    12 - P104 Bats - 35" & 32 ounces
    12 - Mc113 - 34" & 33 ounces

There is not one Mantle order for 35", 33 ounce bats in the records from 1969 - 1979..........I don't have the post 1980 records with me - but that's irrelevant, as the bat is from the 73-75 labeling period........

Just an observation............Jim