Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

1970s Steelers Jacket -- Team Issued or Retail?

I have a lightweight Steelers jacket here, which is pretty much a windbreaker style with no inside liner. The Steelers team name is screened onto the left breast with the classic "stencil" logo style. It has the longer disco collars popular during the 1970s, and two open pockets at the bottom (there are no flaps across the top of them).

The manufacturer of the jacket is Pro Knitwear of Pittsburgh. Their tag is in the neckline of the jacket, and it is a size Large (approx. 23 inches from pit to pit, roughly a size 46).

I know Pro Kintwear made jackets for use by the Steelers team during this time. But did they ever have a license to make jackets for retail sale? I am just wondering what I have here.

Many thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Anthony Nunez
    Historian, USFL Houston Gamblers
    www.Houston-Gamblers.com

Re: 1970s Steelers Jacket -- Team Issued or Retail?

Probably team equipment though hard to say for sure. Noll is wearing a version of that jacket in this photo but the "Steelers" font on his jacket looks a bit smaller. I don't think it's a huge item but nevertheless pretty cool.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHUCK-NOLL-w...item416eb3cae0

Re: 1970s Steelers Jacket -- Team Issued or Retail?

Quote Originally Posted by genius View Post
    Probably team equipment though hard to say for sure. Noll is wearing a version of that jacket in this photo but the "Steelers" font on his jacket looks a bit smaller. I don't think it's a huge item but nevertheless pretty cool.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHUCK-NOLL-w...item416eb3cae0
    That's a nice find, genius. Many thanks...

While it would be cool to find Noll or Rooney wearing this kind of jacket, it is very likely that an equipment guy, trainer or other sideline support person would wear something similar to this. Hopefully one of our Steelers guys has more info on the Pro Knitwear company!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Anthony Nunez
    Historian, USFL Houston Gamblers
    www.Houston-Gamblers.com