Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Re: Washing a game used jersey

Quote Originally Posted by Jags Fan Dan View Post
    To the original question: has a jersey that was washed after being bought lost value, to me it has if it significantly removed signs of use. I agree with others who have said they wouldn't wash a jersey themselves. If it comes from the team having been washed, so be it. But to me as a collector I am not comfortable altering a game used jersey in any fashion.

+1

Banned

Thumbs up Re: Washing a game used jersey

Quote Originally Posted by both-teams-played-hard View Post
    Not quite. There are many examples of Halls-of-fames having mis-identified junk.
    Warren & Roady:

I can think of two in the same museum I saw during a visit long ago (Ohio Baseball Hall of Fame):

They had a 1962 Clem Labine Mets flannel that was attributed, without sufficient evidence, to Tom Seaver, and also had a 1975 Brewers home "game worn" Hank Aaron jersey that was a McAuliffe retail shirt.

I also saw a "game worn" Hank Aaron jersey in a display at old County Stadium in Milwaukee that was, at least, worn...but by a young Gorman Thomas, not an aging Aaron (tail tags were visible until I wrote about this in SCD...then the team tucked the front tail underneath the jersey to obscure the "74" year notation).

Also: The White Sox have had a road Dick Allen jersey that was on display, but was actually a forgery that I actually once owned over 35 years ago, when I was just getting started in this myself. The party I sold it to wanted to keep the jersey and accept a partial refund, and it bounced around for over 15 years before it ended up in the inventory of a major jersey dealer who displayed at the old Rich Hawksley St. Louis shows. I informed the dealer, who wasn't convinced, and that was the last place it was seen before the White Sox ended up with it.

Based on the above, museum/team displays, while generally accurate, can occasionally contain something that isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Dave Miedema

jbean,

Regarding your two posts (#68 and #70), since I confessed to being a germ-a-phobe, you appear to be referring to me. That's fine, but I wanted to set you straight on a couple of your assumptions. You asked the question if I ever played a sport or did anything with passion besides type on a computer or read. Not that anyone probably cares, but since you asked, I know dirt and sweat and grass stains all too well as I've played sports since I was old enough to remember. When I was your age (more than half a lifetime ago, before you were even born to be more precise), I was playing semi-pro football on a highly competitive level in a league based in the Southeast. I was a wide receiver and occasionally played safety, and I got mighty sweaty and dirty each and every game as it gets hot and humid in the South (not to mention how rank a sweaty uniform can get sitting in an equipment bag on a 6-hour bus trip from New Orleans to Birmingham). I played in flag football leagues up until my mid-40s and got plenty sweaty and dirty each week. I still play baseball twice a week and usually end up fairly dirty as I will dive for balls in the outfield and slide into bases despite being over twice your age.

And yes, I confess that I read a lot. One of the things I've learned from extensive reading is that MRSA is a dangerous bacteria that lurks in sports locker rooms. Teams take great precautions to keep it and other pathogens in check as it can be very devastating and even deadly, and it is no joke to anyone who has been infected or has a medical background. The odds might be slim of getting infected, but I don't care to take that gamble as skin issues on my hands make me a bit more vulnerable than the average person. Besides, I just don't enjoy smelling other men's sweat and having a dirty uniform hanging in my room. But that's just my personal collecting perferences, and as I stated in a previous post, there is no "right" or "wrong" on this subject. For those collectors who prefer to have dirty laundry of their favorite players, that is their business and it does not directly affect me or the items I collect.

None of the above, nor the fact that I have been collecting game-used a lot longer than you have been alive, makes me or my opinions or my collecting preferences any better or any worse than you, your opinions, or your collecting preferences, or anyone elses opinions and preferences in this Forum. I was simply stating my preferences in previous posts as I found this to be a fun and somewhat mindless thread.

Mark Hayne
    Gridiron Exchange
    gixc@verizon.net

G1X,

I was not referring to anyone directly in my posts, these are the big three areas that get attention everytime this topic is discussed. I was covering all 3 and since this was not directed at anyone you won't set me straight on any topic. Ive been informed of MRSA being in the military. I have a fellow athlete from a nearby town that lost his legs from meningitis, cause is unknown but word is sharing water bottles could of been the cause. You know what else is dangerous, driving a car, eating fast foods, being outside, just about anything minus sitting on the floor with a respirator and oxygen tank on your back. I could go on and on about this but I've stated my thoughts on the topic and if you want to continue my email is at the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by Palehose for Life View Post
    Lawrence Your Vast Knowledge in the Area of Laundry Not 2 Mention GU is Awe Inspiring & I For One Would Like 2 Say Thanks 4 Sharing. So Whats Next on the Agenda Tips on Pre-Soaking & Spin Cycles ???

I Would Suggest Sticking With Your Obvious Passion 4 Doing Laundry as You May Have Found Your True Calling in Life.

I'm Guessing Your True Calling In Life Didn't Involve Learning Capitalization?

Great feedback everyone...hope my email buddy is reading this.

Not sure why this thread got so far off track, but can we keep this discussion somewhat civilized so that we can all learn from it? Getting all bent out of shape because someone has an opinion that's different than yours really doesn't contribute to the forums at all.

Quote Originally Posted by gkdannecker@yahoo.com View Post
    Remember dirty jerseys smell for a reason. Bacteria and mold from sweat and dirt turn jerseys. Mold can eat the jersey and can deteriorate the material. I think from a preservation point of view I would clean it. I think that is what museums do. George
    So back on topic - does anyone have documented cases proving out this theory?

As to jbean's reference to being dirty, changing diapers, and so on....yes, I throw diapers out and clean "wear" of all of my clothing too. Not let them hang around the house smelling the place up. So I guess living among smelly jerseys is just my personal choice. I have been to many calls on the job to houses where people do not agree with my philosophy on cleaning.

Back to the original bases, I don't think that jerseys lose any real value by being washed, they just return to normal prices compared to those who are paying way above normal market value for a jersey that smells.

To those who want to turn it all into a debate, just be happy that everyone has their own thoughts and there is that much less competition for those jerseys!

Jpopmomma if you're going to call someone out why don't you discuss the whole thread. You say you go on calls, I'm guessing you most likely have a tool box? Do you wash those daily with germ wipes or do you buy new everyday. Imagine the bacteria in your tool box.Do you collect any of the other items i stated, did you wash all those? Why don't you read the whole thread next time and see that i said tons of ways to rid of any smells dont have to display with the odor.

JPOP it doesn't matter your belief on if the value decreases on washed jerseys from a home washer, it's proven that the value decreases. Even the collector that washed the 9/11 jersey this thread was started out admits he knew the value would decrease and sold accordingly.