Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Resale Values of Certified GU Items Have Officially Collapsed

The question everyone needs to ask themselves is "Am I a collector or an investor?" Personally I am a collector and I love the fact that currently I am able to "get more for less". If you are an investor on the other hand..... I can see why you would be concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyegamers View Post
    The question everyone needs to ask themselves is "Am I a collector or an investor?" Personally I am a collector and I love the fact that currently I am able to "get more for less". If you are an investor on the other hand..... I can see why you would be concerned.
    Well said my friend. As a collector, I'm more than happy to purchase jerseys at a discounted rate.

Even those of us (like me) who are solely collectors must think like investors where our future heirs are concerned. As discussed in other threads, we need to be sure our heirs know how to get best resale value for our collection after we're gone. That includes keeping some notes about the special or historical significance of any item, as these details are often forgotten when items change ownership.

I'm a collector (thank God because if I were to be an investor I'd be dumb to be doing it w/ Titans gear vs. being a high-roller and bidding on that awesome Nitchske gamer on auction right now or deceased hall of famers game used stuff) and have noticed a lot of stuff has hit a decline on pricing, but there's a few teams that seem to have held value because their stuff is so difficult to get (Steelers, Bears, Broncos - via Panini but they aren't cheap, Packers, Patriots). Thankfully my Titans stuff isn't too expensive across the board (Eddie and Steve are of course) but for the most part I've paid pretty fairly for most everything I've acquired.

I think everything is oversaturated for the most part...especially cards and autographs.

At Royals Fanfest they were practically giving away jerseys and bats. There aren't a ton of stars that play for them but if you wanted some game used items cheap that's where you wanted to be.

How do you all feel about a Jeter gamer? It's a bat that is still high in price but there are so many out there. It's still high in price because of the large demand. I would think that when he retires, the prices would go up some. The problem I have with a Jeter gamer is that it seems as though he uses the bat for a very short time then turns it over to Steiner to sell. Most of the ones I have seen have very little use to them. The sellers who have the heavily used Jeter gamer want an arm and a leg.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyegamers View Post
    I don't see how you could be an 'investor' in this industry... they are already very expensive and not that many people are fully aware of them.

That said, I'm trying to sell a couple of pieces that I don't neeeeed to try to pay for some bills, and I'm struggling to get anything anywhere near what I want. The best offer I had was about $650, and he's not even interested anymore, yet it cost me almost $1k!

As of now, my intent is to leave my collection to the University of Hawaii if they would have it. There are prominent UH players as far as their college careers go. If only they could have some kind of display area to exhibit the jerseys. Maybe only wishful thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by hairyangryfella View Post
    I don't see how you could be an 'investor' in this industry... they are already very expensive and not that many people are fully aware of them.

That said, I'm trying to sell a couple of pieces that I don't neeeeed to try to pay for some bills, and I'm struggling to get anything anywhere near what I want. The best offer I had was about $650, and he's not even interested anymore, yet it cost me almost $1k!
    Email me and let me know what you got. I may be interested

Ctguy212003@yahoo.com

IMHO, buying the new and hot items of the day, whatever they may be, will rarely result in more dollars down the road. You have to collect what you like, vs. being concerned about future value. GU stuff is getting a lot of attention lately, so this stuff is only going to become more plentiful.

Interest (in everything) just fades over the years - look at Joe Montana goods 20 years ago vs today, and compare against values 10 years from now. Sure there are some exeptional items of his that may command more than they did 20 years ago, but that's the exception, not the rule. Now it's Tom Brady - that GU Brady jersey that sold for $40k a couple of years ago? Good luck selling that jersey and getting 1/4 of that in 20 years.

I buy stuff I enjoy, with the assumption that I'm going to take a bath if I ever sell any of it.

Albert Pujols gamers are the prime example .... 4-6k at one point , now you can get one from 1500-2000, and that's signed and inscribed.

-Tony
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Always looking for ALEX AVILA, ALBERT PUJOLS, HOME RUN BATS, and any high end gamers from 90's-00's stars.

Tony Servitto
    My Email: servitto84@yahoo.com
    My Website: http://vitosbatsandmemorabilia.webs.com/