Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Hack Wilson Bat on Panini Card

Good info, thanks. Hmm. I wonder if there's a typo somewhere

you listed
    312193---1932 Hack Wilson

looks like that sticker could read

any idea what that Hack Wilson was graded? I'm interested what kinds of grades Panini puts on their cards.
    Always looking for game used San Diego Chargers items...

Here's a Mears graded A8 1932 Hack Wilson bat which sold on 4/1/2012 for $6684. I don't see a sticker on either end. (Tough to see the top of the bat)

https://mearsonlineauctions.com/LotD...-Bat-(MEARS-A8)

Does the card say anywhere that the bat was game used by Hack? All it says on the front of the card, is that it's an "authentic knob"... and even that is incorrect, It's obviously a barrel end.

I think the only reason a card company would advertise a knob, and provide a barrel end, is because there were markings on the knob that showed this bat was obviously not used by Hack.. Either inch marks, or other makers marks.

If I'm reading this correctly Troy provided a list of all authenticated game used, Hack bats. So, I'm putting my money on this being a batrite with the patent marks on the knob, or a spalidng with the trademark on the knob which recieved an "authentic" grade from Mears, or some index bat.
    Thanks,
    Jimmy

Email:
    jamesbrandt24 at yahoo.com

These card companies are making big bucks by chopping up index and pro issued bats. Then they hide behind small print, and mislead their customers. "Game Used Hack Wilson Bat" could simply mean a bat with Hack Wilson on the barrel, was used in a game by some player. That's much different than, "Bat Used by Hack Wilson".

That's why I think the debate about cutting up artifacts is overrated. The card companies are cutting up $500 index bats, not $8000 game used bats. They are in the game to make money, so they'll spend as little as possible on "artifacts" and leave it up to the lawyers for the description.

Don't get me wrong, I know there have been some great pieces destroyed by these companies, but I think its the exeption rather than the rule. If they were cutting up "GU 10" bats, then they would advertize the fact, and provide images beforehand. This would assure the customer base that they were getting a part of history.
    Thanks,
    Jimmy

Email:

I looked on the mears datebaseand it lists 5. The one missing is the Eric pointed out from 1932. I have a feeling it is a type and the 1932 bat.

The Cobb they chopped up was a spalding. I'd like to see what joe jackson bat they destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by GoTigers View Post
    These card companies are making big bucks by chopping up index and pro issued bats. Then they hide behind small print, and mislead their customers. "Game Used Hack Wilson Bat" could simply mean a bat with Hack Wilson on the barrel, was used in a game by some player. That's much different than, "Bat Used by Hack Wilson".

That's why I think the debate about cutting up artifacts is overrated. The card companies are cutting up $500 index bats, not $8000 game used bats. They are in the game to make money, so they'll spend as little as possible on "artifacts" and leave it up to the lawyers for the description.

Don't get me wrong, I know there have been some great pieces destroyed by these companies, but I think its the exeption rather than the rule. If they were cutting up "GU 10" bats, then they would advertize the fact, and provide images beforehand. This would assure the customer base that they were getting a part of history.

Jimmy.
    The Cobb that was chopped up was a professional model spalding which sell for $10,000++

You can just look up the serial numbers on the Willie Kamm and Shoeless Joe Jackson bats. Oh wait...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Like I said, there are exeptions and it's terrible when a great item is cut up. But, I believe the vast majority are issued, index, or model bats that were used by another player. Think about it, the numbers just dont add up between known graded examples and relic cards.

If these were highly graded examples, the card companies would advertise it, make "book cards" that show the bat and grade etc. Has anyone ever seen a card that has Ty Cobbs tape from his bat handle? Dont you think they'd capatalize on that? You think they throw the tape away, but have laundry tag cards, button cards, etc? What about the centerbrands? It's all saw dust or knobs with no marks, or barrel ends, and a handful of barrel ends with the players name. All which could be from issued bats

They could make cards with George Brett's pine tar, Griffey's tape, barrel sections with perfect ball marks of logos and ink transfers. There's a reason they dont... They are issued bats, index bats, etc.
    Thanks,
    Jimmy

Email:

And I know someone will probably post a youtube video of "the vault" or whatever they call it at the card companies headquarters. I bet all the vintage stuff is still there, intact, to show to tourists or news crews etc. just to show the great items that get into the product. That, or its resold in a few years at an auction and they get new stuff to show off for a few years.

The lack of transparency just doesnt make any sense, especially if they are cutting up HOF worthy items. It should be advertiesd to create a buzz for the product. Instead you get a generic piece of wood and a vague description of what it's supposed to be. I do think the modern jersey cards, etc. are different. There is such a huge supply of this stuff, I'm basically talking about vintage "relic" cards.
    Thanks,
    Jimmy

Email:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/i-...icle-1.1159317

Does anyone really believe these guys are adverse to living in the grey? With their descriptions, you can make a convincing argument that a side written bat from a minor leaguer, with "Hack Wilson" on the barrel is in fact a "Hack Wilson Game Used Bat".

There are 2-3 known Joe Jackson game used bats from his MLB playing days.. is this the knob to one of them? Is a bat from his barnstorming days "game used? Is a 33" Joe Jackson model from the H&B vaults with random sidewriting "game used"? Do you really think they bought a $250K from his MLB days and cut it up when there is a grey area they can easily explore?
    Thanks,
    Jimmy

Email: