Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Vintage Basketball Question

Hi -
    Long time stalker, first time poster!
    I have an old wool basketball jersey that may be from the New York Americans of the pre-NBA American Basketball League. I cannot find any photos on-line nor has the BB HOF responded to my inquiries. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I will try to post photos below.
    Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Re: Vintage Basketball Question

From Wikipedia:

New York Americans (basketball)

The New York Americans were an American basketball team based in New York, New York that was a member of the American Basketball League.

Year-by-year

YearLeagueReg. SeasonPlayoffs1943/44ABL2nd (1st half); 4th (2nd half)Did not qualify

Hi -
    I haven't heard anything in past week. Might anyone know of an individual or association that I could contact to inquire about photos from this long-lost team and league? Thanks again.

Hoping a vintage hoops guy might be able to help.

Someone at the APBR might know something, if you haven't tried that yet. http://members.aol.com/bradleyrd/apbr.html

Yes, I was watching this jersey when it was on eBay months ago. I forgot to bid, and I know you got a good deal. I have searched for photos of the old New York Americans, but no luck. It could be a high school or college, I really don't know. I would do consistant searches on eBay for "New York Americans" (items and descriptions). I often see programs and photos of semi-pro and obscure professional teams. I think this jersey is from the 30s or 40s. Its a nice piece and worth keeping, 'til more history is found. I'll let you know if I come across any leads. Since it is made by a New York Sporting Goods company, it is safe to guess it is from the Northeast.

Throwing this one out there again.
    I have had zero luck finding any pics of the New York Americans basketball team of back when. Have tried the website of APBR with no bites. Contacted BBall HOF with no response. The closest I have come was a program that Hunt's was auctioning in a bigger lot but it had no photos either.
    Thanks again for any leads.

Try posting the question on the APBR message board. I believe someone will be able to help, even if they're historians & not collectors.

http://apbr.org/forum/index.php

I am also posting here for the first time. Well I have no clue about these jerseys but wonder why BB HOF didn't repond to your queries? Who else can you turn to find the answer?

I'll try 2 google it)