Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Thread: Chris Carpenter

Chris Carpenter

I am not old as many of you (26), but as a diehard Cardinals fan it is a sad day to see the greatest competitor in my lifetime take off the birds on the bat jersey. He showed his competitiveness and his character by coming back last year to pitch in the playoffs. You will be missed

Re: Chris Carpenter

I'm even younger than you are (almost 20), but I can't think of a more competitive baseball player. From the times he scolded a teammate (Brendan Ryan) to others that he lashed out at other players (Edwin Jackson, Nyjer Morgan, etc.), Carp always had that fire you love to see in a player.

Funny story ... my girlfriend and I went to a game a few weeks before Chris made his comeback in 2012. Our seats were on the first row behind the Cardinals bullpen. Carpenter, as he often did, watched the game from the front of the pen and walked over to chat with some of the other pitchers during the ends of innings. Around the middle of the game, he turned around and began walking towards the back of the pen eating some seeds when a lady sitting directly behind me, who by this time was mostly drunk, shouted "Share some you a**hole." Chris immediately challenged her, screaming for her to go home. She didn't, so Chris proeceeded to stare directly at her for a few innings until she finally left. I've never felt so intimidated in my life ... it appeared as if he was staring directly at us since the lady who had yelled was sitting right behind. I think my girlfriend is terrified of him to this day!

Carp will certainly be missed.

-Tyler
    Collecting Cardinals jerseys and bats, with a focus on Yadier Molina, Matt Holliday, and Adam Wainwright.

Tyler
    flotaboys@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by flota89 View Post
    I'm even younger than you are (almost 20), but I can't think of a more competitive baseball player. From the times he scolded a teammate (Brendan Ryan) to others that he lashed out at other players (Edwin Jackson, Nyjer Morgan, etc.), Carp always had that fire you love to see in a player.

Funny story ... my girlfriend and I went to a game a few weeks before Chris made his comeback in 2012. Our seats were on the first row behind the Cardinals bullpen. Carpenter, as he often did, watched the game from the front of the pen and walked over to chat with some of the other pitchers during the ends of innings. Around the middle of the game, he turned around and began walking towards the back of the pen eating some seeds when a lady sitting directly behind me, who by this time was mostly drunk, shouted "Share some you a**hole." Chris immediately challenged her, screaming for her to go home. She didn't, so Chris proeceeded to stare directly at her for a few innings until she finally left. I've never felt so intimidated in my life ... it appeared as if he was staring directly at us since the lady who had yelled was sitting right behind. I think my girlfriend is terrified of him to this day!

Carp will certainly be missed.

-Tyler
    That's a classic story! How many times have we heard on national telecasts him make a bad pitch and yell G** Dammit!!!! I think that may be his favorite expression on the mound.

Quote Originally Posted by onlyalbert View Post
    That's a classic story! How many times have we heard on national telecasts him make a bad pitch and yell G** Dammit!!!! I think that may be his favorite expression on the mound.
    Chris was Chris regardless of who may have been around him. He is hard not to like.
    Collecting Cardinals jerseys and bats, with a focus on Yadier Molina, Matt Holliday, and Adam Wainwright.

Tyler
    flotaboys@hotmail.com