Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Follow us on
Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Flickr Watch us on YouTube My Space Blogger
Page 40 of 104 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090 ... LastLast

Re: Recent Deaths in the Sports World

Bobby Etheridge, who played for the 1967 & 1969 San Francisco Giants, died on September 19th.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/e/etherbo01.shtml

Walter Young, who may have been the heaviest player in MLB history at 320 lbs., died on September 19th at the age of 35. He played for the Baltimore Orioles in 2005, and was drafted by the Pittsburgh Pirates in 1999. He also was voted the South Atlantic League's Most Valuable Player in 2002, and made the Single-A Carolina League's postseason All-Star team in 2003.

I personally remember seeing Young at the Reading Phillies in 2004 standing next to Ryan Howard at first base and he made Howard look small. I also remember seeing Young play for the Sussex Skyhawks in 2008. I do have a cracked bat of his that I bought at the Orioles years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris78 View Post
    Walter Young, who may have been the heaviest player in MLB history at 320 lbs., died on September 19th at the age of 35. He played for the Baltimore Orioles in 2005, and was drafted by the Pittsburgh Pirates in 1999. He also was voted the South Atlantic League's Most Valuable Player in 2002, and made the Single-A Carolina League's postseason All-Star team in 2003.

I personally remember seeing Young at the Reading Phillies in 2004 standing next to Ryan Howard at first base and he made Howard look small. I also remember seeing Young play for the Sussex Skyhawks in 2008. I do have a cracked bat of his that I bought at the Orioles years ago.
    At one time, I owned the only Batting Helmet he wore with the Orioles (it had the Hurricane Katrina/American Red Cross decal on it) but unfortunately I sold it on eBay a couple years ago...

The other thing I remember about Walter was on the last day of the 2005 season, where the Orioles have their annual Shirt Off Our Back Promotion, they gave his huge #75 top to a small girl and it was somewhat comical to see her on the field wearing it.

RIP Walter

Yogi Berra who was 90 years old. Berra was in the D Day invasion and joined the Yankees in the late 40's. Because he played his whole career with so many great players, how great he was as a player somehow seems to get overlooked. He was on 10 world series winning teams and on those great Yankee teams was named the American League's Most Valuable Player 3 times. A small example, he was one of only two players to hit more than 300 home runs and strike out less than 500 times.

Unhappy Re: Recent Deaths in the Sports World

Quote Originally Posted by cjclong View Post
    Yogi Berra who was 90 years old. Berra was in the D Day invasion and joined the Yankees in the late 40's. Because he played his whole career with so many great players, how great he was as a player somehow seems to get overlooked. He was on 10 world series winning teams and on those great Yankee teams was named the American League's Most Valuable Player 3 times. A small example, he was one of only two players to hit more than 300 home runs and strike out less than 500 times.
    It seems he was better known to some for his Yogi-isms than what he did on the field. You're right, however, his on-field talent gets overlooked. HHe was one of the best "bad ball" hitters, ever, and is also among the best catchers in MLB history...not to mention what you've already mentioned. He was as essential to the Yankkes dynasties as were Mantle, Ford, or anyone else.

Dave Miedema

Tom Kelley, who pitched for Cleveland from 1964 to 1967 and Atlanta from 1971 to 1973, died September 25 at age 71

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...elleto01.shtml

Cal Neeman who was a catcher for the Cubs, Phillies, Pirates, Indians and the Washington Senators from 1957 thru 1963, recently passed away at the age of 86

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...eemaca01.shtml

Neal Walk, the #2 pick in the 1969 NBA Draft (behind Lew Alcindor), died on October 4 at age 67. He lost the use of his legs in 1987 after a tumor was removed from his spine.

Walk played center for the Phoenix Suns from 1969-74. He split the 1974-75 season with the Jazz and Knicks, and ended his career with New York in 1977.

Dave M.

Ed Sukla, a pitcher who played parts of three seasons with the Los Angeles/California Angels (39 games), died on September 24th

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...uklaed01.shtml

Two to report:

Lindy Infante, former NFL and USFL coach, died 10/1 after a lengthy illness. He was 75.

Infante is best remembered as being head coach of the Green Bay Packers from 1988-91, bit also coached the Indianapolis Colts (1996-97) and the USFL Jacksonville Bulls (1984-85).

Also, BSKB HoFer Harry Gallatin died 10/7 at age 88.

Gallatin played for the New York Knicks for 9 seasons, the first of which was in the defunct Basketball Association of America. He played his final season (1957-58) with the Pistons. Gallatin later coached the Knicks, as well as the St. Louis Hawks.

Dave M.