Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
    Banned

Insult to Injury!! Brien Taylor Yankees Prospect sentenced to Jail

I am sure most of you remember this story.

Brien Taylor projected to be a phenom pitcher the next coming of Nolan Ryan. Gets the largest signing bonus till that point. Gets into a bar fight, blows out his arm, and there goes his career.

Well I guess he felt that wasn't enough

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...486_story.html

Thumbs up Re: Insult to Injury!! Brien Taylor Yankees Prospect sentenced to Jail

<Sigh>. I don't understand how people can have that much talent and throw it all away.
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

Re: Insult to Injury!! Brien Taylor Yankees Prospect sentenced to Jail

Quote Originally Posted by frikativ54 View Post
    <Sigh>. I don't understand how people can have that much talent and throw it all away.
    Well, in his case, he got in a fight and injured his shoulder, and never recovered.
    Regards, Tony

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

~I'm sorry, I can't hear you....my World Series Ring is making too much NOISE! - Alex Rodriguez~

I always found it interesting with Taylor is that certified autographed rookie card of his from Topps that was a REAL BIG deal at the time was almost the gateway to the sports card market declining with inserts, parrells, etc....

It was a card that really opened the door for doing more and more certified autographed cards, leading into the jersey cards that clog up searches for real game used memorabilia.

That card, just like Brien's career and the sports card market all had similar steady declines. I just checked ebay about that card, some sold last week for around $3-$4, now with him makes "news" it went up about 50%....

---

However, yes what a bizarre incident to ruin your MLB career from getting in a fight. Think of that, you make one decision that clearly changed everything. It was a clear cut and dry before and after effect. For non-athletes and regualr people it would a like immediately became a person with a physical disability.

If he would have been a super star position player, he likely could have overcome the incident (assuming he really had the talent the scouts projected).

Quote Originally Posted by jake33 View Post
    I always found it interesting with Taylor is that certified autographed rookie card of his from Topps that was a REAL BIG deal at the time was almost the gateway to the sports card market declining with inserts, parrells, etc....

It was a card that really opened the door for doing more and more certified autographed cards, leading into the jersey cards that clog up searches for real game used memorabilia.

That card, just like Brien's career and the sports card market all had similar steady declines. I just checked ebay about that card, some sold last week for around $3-$4, now with him makes "news" it went up about 50%....

---

I assume you are referring to the Stadium Club card that came in a set. This was Topps first attempt at a premium set. Dealers would buy up Stadium Club sets (not packs) and then sell individual players. I remember making the early rounds buying up these card and then selling them at our table at the mall shows in the early 90s. After the injury you couldn't give away this card.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

I am talking about the topps gold card that had a certfied auto on it. I believe the print run was like 10,000

this card
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by suave1477 View Post
    I am sure most of you remember this story.

Brien Taylor projected to be a phenom pitcher the next coming of Nolan Ryan. Gets the largest signing bonus till that point. Gets into a bar fight, blows out his arm, and there goes his career.

Well I guess he felt that wasn't enough

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...486_story.html
    He'll probably write a book and blame someone else for his life. The sad thing is, others will agree that he got a raw deal.

Quote Originally Posted by cohibasmoker View Post
    He'll probably write a book and blame someone else for his life. The sad thing is, others will agree that he got a raw deal.
    actually he was able to reconcile with the guy he got into a fight. the man was a ex-con and both were mutual friends before the incident.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.