Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Rawlings RTS - NFL Helmets

Quote Originally Posted by Jacuzzi View Post
    The weird thing is that these front pads aren't covered over Rawlings. They are actually printed/embossed with the team name. The letters are actually indented like they were made with a punch.

I think the Riddell agreement with the NFL was in 1992?
    Wow, very cool.

Quote Originally Posted by princip View Post
    Wow, very cool.
    That sort of explains the generic, same font, for the Vikings and Colts helmets. Looks like it could be the case for Franco's lid as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacuzzi View Post
    The weird thing is that these front pads aren't covered over Rawlings. They are actually printed/embossed with the team name. The letters are actually indented like they were made with a punch.

I think the Riddell agreement with the NFL was in 1992?
    Quote Originally Posted by princip View Post
    That sort of explains the generic, same font, for the Vikings and Colts helmets. Looks like it could be the case for Franco's lid as well.
    Very cool feature - I sure didn't pick up that these were printed this way from the factory from the photos. I agree with princip - good explanation for the generic font instead of a team logo on these.

Rawlings is still using an odd-sized bumper, but on the new ones the bumper it actually a bit narrower than what is found on Riddell or Schutt helmets, plus they essentially have an oval hole cut out of them leaving a raised "R" inside the oval part.

Quote Originally Posted by John in KY View Post
    I'm pretty sure this predates the NFL's current deal with Riddell that mandates teams cover up logos on helmets from other brands like we have today; I don't think that started until the late 1980s or early 1990s. That being said, it seems like some teams started covering up the manufacturer logos on all their helmets there during the early 1980s, but it really was on a team-by-team basis, and it wasn't necessarily consistent so a team might cover them for a year or two, then leave them uncovered for another year or two.
    If your NFL team Rawlings RTS helmet does have the team's wordmark across the frontpad/nameplate, pretty good indictator it was issued to the team directly from Rawlings, and not available to the general public?

Banned

I've attached a couple of scans of my Rawlings Bengals helmet. I know there was a larger "Rawlings" font used on some front bumpers for some players but I was told that it may be best to look for the "smaller" font.

Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Great Bengals Rawlings helmet but that is the HND-9 model not the RTS model. The HND-9 was a staple in the Rawlings catalog from the 1950's through the early 80's. It was discontinued and replaced by the ANFL model around 1982 and later the RTS model in about 1985. Both the ANFL model and RTS had the large font and nose bumper as well as vinyl interiors (opposed to HND-9 leather ones). I included a photo of the a Bears ANFL for comparison and I believe Marino wore the ANFL with the Dolphins
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Fantastic Bengals helmet Jim!

I finally got my hands on a true Seahawks Rawlings RTS gamer. Padding was pretty much non-existent, no surprise there. However, that wonderfully generic Seahawks wordmark front pad and early 80s decals(over screw/rivets) are ever so present.

Quote Originally Posted by cohibasmoker View Post
    I've attached a couple of scans of my Rawlings Bengals helmet. I know there was a larger "Rawlings" font used on some front bumpers for some players but I was told that it may be best to look for the "smaller" font.

Jim
    Love the look of the perforated padding in that helmet.

Were the "noodle" tubes in the RTS originally clear? Or were they always of a yellow color?

Great to see something about NFL helmets on this Baseball dominated site.Been looking for a GU Raiders helmet of any player from late 70's through the 80's and it looks hopeless.About ready to give up rickwood35180@gmail.com