Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

1976 Tony Perez shipping records..

Got his info for his 1976 R 43 gamers? How many shipped and spec's? It also does not have the bicentennial stamp on it. Thanks,
    Greg

Re: 1976 Tony Perez shipping records..

Hi Greg - During the 1976 season, Perez only ordered R43 bats in seven separate orders. Here are the individual orders:

3-16-76 / Flame Burned Finish - 35.5" and 33.5 ounces - 6 bats
    5-20-76 / Flame Burned Finish - 35.5" and 34 ounces - 12 bats
    6-7-76 / Flame Burned Finish - 35.5" and 34 ounces - 18 bats
    6-18-76 / Flame Burned Finish - 35.5" and 34 ounces - 12 bats
    7-22-76 / Hickory Finish - 35.5" and 33 ounces - 12 bats
    10-18-76 / Flame Burned Finish - 35.5" and 33 ounces - 12 bats
    11-19-76 / Flame Burned Finish - 35.5" and 33 ounces - 12 bats

Let me know how else I can help. Jim

Greg - regarding the stamp, none of the records for any player indicate that bats were stamped with the Liberty Bell logo. You should assume that if the bat is stamped with the logo - with specs matching these - then the bat is from 1976. I would also look for use and other player attributes for Tony such as his number on the knob, as well as tar. Tony used tar quite frequently on his bats during this time period.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Jim

Greg - one more note - are you referring to the Perez bat on ebay currently in the link below?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tony-Perez-1976-...QQcmdZViewItem

There is not any reference in Perez's shipping records requesting that bats be manufactured for Tony without the Liberty Bell logo.........could the bat have been produced in 1976 without the logo?? Maybe - but the records are void of any specifics to produce bats without the logo.......Perez also ordered Flame Burned R43 model bats during the 77, 78 and 79 seasons which match the time period of this bat listed.

Jim

Banned

Jim- I talked to Zane about this bat and did some homework too. It came from the Red's shop with a date of April 10th 1976. That's the last season he played for the Reds. I also have pictures of Perez from 1976 of him using bats without the Bicentennial on it. One is out of the the world series magazine Diary of a winner: 1976 Cincinnati Reds. All pictures are from their 1976 season. IN one picture Tony is holding his bat with no logo, powerized on it instead, etc. Zane is positive it's from 1976 too. He said he called you about it? What do you think?
    Greg

Hi Greg - Zane has not called me about it. I don't doubt what he is saying and he gets good stuff from reputable sources. As I mentioned in my previous post, it's possible that Louisville could have sent him bats during 1976 without the Liberty Bell Logo. There is no reference to this in the records though - no indication that he specifically requested bats without the Logo - but we have found that Louisville Slugger has made mistakes in the records or not recorded all information at times over the years. If you have pics of Tony from 1976 with the model number on the barrel without the Libery Bell logo and you are comfortable with Zane's provenance and the photos, then you shouldn't hesitate to buy it if you are interested. If the date on the tape is from April, then the bat should be from the March order indicated above - 35.5" and 33.5 ounces - it's the only logical choice based on what Zane has indicated to you.

Good luck and let me know if you need anything else. Jim

Banned

Yep. That would be the case. It's a 35.5 and 33+ounces.
    Greg

Sounds good - bat has Tony's #24 which is a plus and has some pine tar......Can you send me the pics you have from 1976? Would love to have them for my files if possible. Thanks!! Jim

jcaravello@nc.rr.com

Banned

Hi Jim. The best picture I have is out of the magazine: Diary of a Winner: Cincinnati Reds of 1976. He's standing next to Foster and you can see most of the bat. It definately has no logo and you can see the powerized, which isn't on the logo bats. You can kindof see the name and such at the end of the bat- but not good enough to see if it's a R43. But, I'm sure it is since that's all he ordered. It all adds up to me. Bats ordered in March. Busted 2nd game of the season. His last season with the Reds. The Reds shop just sells Reds items. Bat matches factory specs, etc. It's just missing that logo and I have a good picture of him in 1976 with no logo. I'm not paying that price for it of course. We're working on that. Thanks for all the info. I'll get that picture scanned in the future and email it to you.
    Greg

Thanks for the pic - good luck in the negotiations.........