Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bobby Bonds Cardinals jersey on ebay

Wanted to get your opinions on this bonds jersey...Does everything seem legit about it?

Is it common to see a jersey in the Cards organization from this era being recycled like this ? The tag says 1978 however I do know that during the 79-80 seasons (when bobby arrived wearing #26,00) the only thing that changed was the numbers on the sleeve.
    Ebay seller: mancaveauctions

Collecting Marlins Game Used jerseys, Jeff Conine,
    250 HR / 250 SB Club Members.

Re: Bobby Bonds Cardinals jersey on ebay

Banned

Lightbulb Re: Bobby Bonds Cardinals jersey on ebay

Back in the era, the Cardinals did recycle jerseys...I've seen more than a few 1978 jerseys with the 1979-80 sleeve numbers and 1979-80 gamers with the post-1980 front numbers. I'm not automatically giving the Bonds a thumbs up, but I am saying that the year tag/year of usage diffrential is not unheard of.

Dave Miedema

Thanks dave

I wrote about this jersey on my blog a couple weeks ago. Hope this helps.

June 25, 2012. Last Friday, Uni-Watch published a short piece about players who wore numbers 0 and 00. The Cardinals have three representatives in this group, Kerry Robinson (#0), Bobby Bonds and Omar Olivares (both #00, though Olivares says those weren't zeros, they were his initials). I pulled out my 1980 Cardinals yearbook to see if there was a story about why Bonds chose #00. No luck, but I did see photos of him wearing #26. According to Cardinals Journal, Bonds wanted #25, but George Hendrick had that number. Apparently, Bonds chose #26 during spring training, but by opening day, he was wearing #00. Now, look what shows up on eBay -- a Bonds #26 jersey. The seller says "O'Brien" was removed from the back and replaced with "Bonds." Makes sense -- Dan O'Brien wore #26 in 1979. But, the seller also suggests Bonds wore #26 during the regular season, referencing Baseball Almanac. Problem is, BA does not include #26 as a number for Bonds in 1980. BA is accurate -- Bonds wore only #00 during the regular season; #26 was his spring training number.

Thanks for all the research fellas...I actually have a bat of his from 1980 with #00 on the handle, so I knew for the most part he wore these digits through the '80 season, albeit I didnt know the specific dates he wore #26. Anyhow this is a tough call, might have to pass this one up, sucks a cards bonds gamer is my grail

Baseball By The Numbers lists Bonds as wearing both 00 and 26 in 1980. It seems likely however that Jeff is correct, as number 26 was also worn by pitcher Don Hood. Hood was signed as a free agent by the Cards on 3/13/80, and released following the season on 10/25/80. Since Hood appeared in 35 games for the Birds that year, it is likely that he was on the roster all season, and was given number 26 sometime between 3/13/80 and the start of the season (presuming he was on the opening day roster.)

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

Quote Originally Posted by mook03005 View Post
    Anyhow this is a tough call, might have to pass this one up, sucks a cards bonds gamer is my grail
    You may never find a 00 regular-season Bonds because it may have been recycled. If you really want a Bonds Cardinals jersey, this might be your best chance. If you tactfully let the seller know that you know it's only a spring training jersey, maybe he'll negotiate the price.

Quote Originally Posted by MSpecht View Post
    Baseball By The Numbers lists Bonds as wearing both 00 and 26 in 1980. It seems likely however that Jeff is correct, as number 26 was also worn by pitcher Don Hood. Hood was signed as a free agent by the Cards on 3/13/80, and released following the season on 10/25/80. Since Hood appeared in 35 games for the Birds that year, it is likely that he was on the roster all season, and was given number 26 sometime between 3/13/80 and the start of the season (presuming he was on the opening day roster.)

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com
    Hood pitched his first game on 4/11, so he was on the roster opening day (which was 4/10). He was #26. Baseball by the Numbers was a great starting point, but its many errors have been corrected over the years.

i am the seller...
    thanks for clearing it up ...
    so i am guessing the spring training jersey is lesser value than the gamers ?
    or this jersey has a value because its only bonds cardinals out there since cardinals did recycled their jerseys ?
    let me know
    thanks
    marcus